Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Friends who think emotional abuse is normal

User Profile: LexiconLover8
LexiconLover8 October 25th, 2021

I got out of an emotionally abusive relationship a month and a half ago... but I find some of my friends think that the behaviors are normal for all relationships. They think gaslighting, manipulating, lying, comparing, abandonment, control, all these things are normal to them. Sometimes they don’t understand why I left, or that all partners do this to eachother.... sometimes I worry that they’re right and all intimate relationships do dissolve down to this toxic pattern. I hope they’re wrong. How do you challenge thoughts like this?

1
User Profile: mathetmess
mathetmess October 27th, 2021

@LexiconLover8

Hello and thank you for sharing. I am glad that you are here. "Normal" is tricky. Are these patterns common and widespread? Yes, definitely. Does that make them acceptable and healthy? Definitely not. Are they in *all* relationships? Definitely not. Is it worth respecting yourself enough to say that these things are not acceptable? I strongly believe so, and I am proud of you for doing so. I believe in such a thing as better, and I believe it is worth insisting on and not accepting these mistreatments.

You are not alone. I am glad that you say these things. You are making good progress. I believe in you. Best wishes.