Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I'm emotionally, psychologically, verbally, and sometime physically abused by my parents.

User Profile: BrokenandAbused
BrokenandAbused May 27th, 2016

I don't know what happened, but I was six when I noticed my parents were abusive towards my brother and I, mainly emotionally, psychologically, and verbally. Sometimes however, they did get physically abusive as well. I'm 25 years old, almost 26, and I know 'society' says not to blame others for your problems, but my parents are to blame for my problems. My parents never prepared me for life as an independent, productive member of adulthood.

I've never had a job because they wouldn't let me get one when I wanted to at 16, they told me I was too lazy and immature to get let alone keep a job, my argument? Isn't that what a job is for, to help learn responsibility, to help you become mature, and to help you realize things are not easy or handed to you, that you have to work hard for everything you get. Still, they said no, and we lived in a small town where the nearest place to work is 10 minutes away by car on a highway. So now it's become a problem and I'm having issues getting a job because they prefer people with experience.

I do not have a driver's license because my father would not let me get a learner's permit, he said because I was immature and lazy I'd be dangerous on the road. When I was 20 my mother's parents paid for me to go to driver's school when I visited them in Washington, the state, first time I drove was at night in the rain, I've also driven in the snow with no accidents. When I returned to the state I live in my dad had turned my room into a storage area even though he knew I was coming back, they had a week before I came home to clean it out and make it so I could sleep in my room, but when I got there that night my bed was so full of clothes I couldn't sleep on it, I had to make room on the couch, which also was full of clothes, all of the clothes smelled like wet dog and I ended up crying myself to sleep.

When I came back home my dad promised me he'd take me out in his car for some driving practice, he took me out once, the day after I came back home, after that he either said he was 'too busy' when all he did was play farmville and watch TV, he'd offer when he knew I had the flu and felt like crap, or he'd say if I had gotten 'cleaned up' he would have let me drive, but he never gave me an advanced notice and wouldn't wait for me to get ready, and he'd always make up an excuse when I wanted to drive until my learner's permit expired. My mom would always be like, "Ask your father, I don't have the patience or nerve to drive with you." My brother was too busy smoking, drinking, or going to work to help me.

My mom is very clingy, needy, and tries to guilt trip me into doing things, every single night I help her cook dinner, eat with her, and then watch 3 or 4 hours of TV with her, and if I want to go in my room to be alone and relax away from her and my dad she gets annoyed and says, "Fine, be that way, when I'm dead you'll be sorry and you'd wish you spent more time with me." I love her, but I shouldn't have to spend every single waking moment by her side and have her try to manipulate or guilt trip me into spending time with her if I want a few hours or minutes to myself.

They've made sure I am isolated and have no way out, I don't have any friends because we live in a neighborhood with mainly elderly people and people in their 30s or 40s with small kids that I have nothing in common with, I can't make friends because their is nothing in this small town to do except literally watch the grass grow unless you have a car and can drive 10-30 minutes on the highway to the cities near here. Living in a town with no public transportation, not having friends, not having a license, and having no money whatsoever, unless you count the 20 dollars that's in a savings account under my dad's and my name, I have to rely on my parents for transportation. They never go anywhere except to the doctor, pay bills, or a hour and a half away to another city for wrestling shows which I can't stand, that's my dad, mom hates wrestling.

If I left I'd be homeless, businesses don't usually tend to hire homeless people. I'm emotionally and physically tired all the time, I'm abused daily, I've been depressed since I was 6 years old, I've had suicidal thoughts, I've intentionally harmed myself, and I want to crawl under a rock and die.

My parents constantly make me feel like they love my older brother more than me, that I was the unplanned 'surprise', that I'm the disappointment, even though I've never smoked, done drugs, drink, or had a child out of wedlock that I rarely see. They make me feel worthless, unlovable, and like I'm a burden. I don't even know if I'm capable of falling in love/loving someone anymore.

1
User Profile: Disneykstew
Disneykstew May 27th, 2016

@BrokenandAbused

Hey broken, I'm sorry to hear all that! Everything is going to be OK. For the time being, maybe this self-help guide can help you --> Family stress