I need to tell someone about what happened to me but I don’t know how.
I was abused by my husband of 7 years and I finally got out. Now I’m struggling mentally and emotionally with my next step. I know I need therapy but I have no money or proof of insurance. That would be a excellent step. Another option is to open up to someone in my life but I have no idea how to say what needs to be said. I feel like by not opening up I’m protecting him in a way. Which is something he doesn’t deserve in my opinion. I also feel like people won’t believe me because some of these things sound unbelievable. Like they came from a movie.
The only thing I can think to do is to record myself saying it. Then I would have the option to delete it… or to show someone. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea though because I also have an urge to post it publicly just to get it out into the world but that would absolutely have social and legal ramifications. I’ve been told to talk to a lawyer but as I stated I have no money and basically no idea how the real world works. The struggle with my mental illness is what is really blocking me from opening up to literally anyone. For some reason I’m afraid to even call my advocate. I know I shouldn’t be
@TheYoungestVolcano
I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help, and I'm here for you.
First, it's important to know that therapy can be a really helpful tool for people who have experienced abuse. If you don't have insurance or money, there are free resources available depending on where you live. For example, you can check with local domestic violence or sexual assault centres to see if they offer free counselling services. You can also try searching for low-cost mental health resources in your community, such as community health clinics or sliding scale therapy.
You can also reach out to a domestic violence or sexual assault hotline, such as the National Domestic Violence Hotline (1-800-799-7233), they can offer confidential support and resources.
As for opening up to someone, it's completely normal to feel scared talking about your experience. You don't have to feel like you're protecting your abuser by not talking about it. If you feel more comfortable, recording yourself might be a good option to get the words out and help you feel more in control of the situation. However, it's essential to consider the potential consequences of sharing such personal information before taking any actions.
Remember, it's OK to take things one step at a time, and it's OK to reach out for help. You serve to heal and to have a support system to help you through this process. You can send me a PM whenever you want, and I will answer as soon as possible ❤️