Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I'm not sure if this counts, but why not try.

User Profile: imstuckhelp
imstuckhelp February 18th, 2018

My sister (i'll call her M, she's 3 years older) and I dont get along too well. Pretty much after I was born, she gained a big attitude. Not only did she get very angry and stubborn if even something a little upsetting would happen, but she also forced me to do things (nothing inappropiate, just controlling). But, when she would get upset, she would refuse to do things, and cry and scream a lot. So, as parents do, they would try to get her to calm down, or at least stop crying; something. Now, my mom comes from a dysfunctional family (drunken father, etc.), and we've talked about my 'trauma'. She's said that she feels bad for not noticing me and what was happening. The thing is, it would turn into giant screaming and crying matches with my parents and M. This would scare me a lot, as you would expect from a little kid. So, I would run the farthest away from the noise, and cover my head in pillows and blankets while i cry. Repeat everytime someone would get upset.

M would also make me do what she asked. Playing a game? I'm the guy (we're both female). Or i'm the ogre. We actually used to have a 'game' called (titled by M) 'You be my servant, and I'll tell you what to do'. I can't make this sh-t up. She wants a glass of water? I'll go get it. It soon became a habit. And it sucks. Now, I do it just to stop her from getting angry. When she's angry, its even worse. We both get angry, and start to basically call each other out for being jerks, to put it lightly. I'm usually the first to give up, as it brings me near to tears. So i run away, and start to cry. The next part is even worse. She hears me crying, and asks me why I'm crying. Like hell I'm gonna tell her. She should know. She used to tell me to "Stop crying. Why are you crying? You never stop crying. Get a grip." And then, later, she'll be like, "Is there anything i need to apologize for..." I tell her no, it's fine. Even though I'm probably still mad at her. I just wish she would stop doing that, because she should know if she needs to apologize. I wish I could tell her. But the fear of confromtation kicks in, so no thanks. There's more I'm gonna talk about later.

5
User Profile: Booklover95
Booklover95 February 18th, 2018

@imstuckhelp

I think the problem here is you enabling her behaviour.

Is understandable though , last thing you want is problems.

Try to calm down. When she screams at you, don't scream. Ignore her tantrum and say you have a life. You're not her waitress, you're her sister.

When she asks if she should apologise say yes very peacefully and explain why. Even if she doesn't apologise realise her behaviour is just rotten spoiled really. She won't find people in life that will always do what she wants. And bullying you this way is not acceptable.

Also have you tried talking to your mother about how you feel about your sister?

3 replies
User Profile: imstuckhelp
imstuckhelp OP February 18th, 2018

@Booklover95

My mom and I have talked about it a lot in the past, but now that i'm getting older, we're both busier, and have less time. But, I'm kinda ok with that, as I want to be able to handle things myself. And M hasn't had a big tantrum in at least a couple years (she's in highschool). Things are a lot better than they used to be.

Thank you for the advice, by the way! Most of the things I mentioned about M controlling me happened when I was little, and they don't happen really at all anymore.

2 replies
User Profile: Booklover95
Booklover95 February 19th, 2018

@imstuckhelp

Oh got it. I thought was still a present occurance. Sorry!

But I'm glad nowdays is better :)

1 reply
User Profile: imstuckhelp
imstuckhelp OP February 19th, 2018

@Booklover95

We still argue a lot, and she still bosses me around a lot, but she doesnt have tantrums anymore.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: imstuckhelp
imstuckhelp OP February 19th, 2018

I kinda regret making this thread, because there's not too much to talk about. At least w/ my 'trauma' thing. There's other things, but i dont know if i talk about them here...?