Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Realizing I was in an emotionally and mentally abusive relationship with a narcissist

User Profile: Shastapie
Shastapie August 17th, 2019

It took me far too long to realize thats what it was. And its honestly freaking me out now that Ive come to terms with it. I keep playing back on memories of being with him and I feel a mixture of angry and dumbfoundedness at myself. Like, how did I let this happen? How did I let myself get so blinded by some guy that I overlooked his behavior as just how he was? I never thought something like this would happen. I let emotions cloud my reasoning. I thought I loved him, but Im 99% sure it was lust and I hate myself for it. It took an outside perspective for me to see it. I just thought he was a jerk. But hes more than that.

6
User Profile: stressBear
stressBear August 17th, 2019

@Shastapie I think this is a pretty common reaction. While you're still in the relationship you don't let yourself see how bad it is.

User Profile: ReadBooksDrinkTea
ReadBooksDrinkTea August 17th, 2019

@Shastapie Some people are *really* skilled at being manipulative. Your experience isn't necessarily uncommon. I was really good friends with at least one and for a long time did not see them for what they were. They were manipulative and we were young (I had also been quite sheltered growing up).

I regret the time, effort, money, etc. I put into those friendships but in retrospect I now recognize them for what they were.

User Profile: Eventuallydallas
Eventuallydallas August 17th, 2019

@ReadBooksDrinkTea

I just joined 7 cups. I have tried a few listeners but they are very vague or stop responding. I just left a DV relationship and hope to find support. I'm learning how to navigate this app but it's becoming overwhelming

User Profile: ReadBooksDrinkTea
ReadBooksDrinkTea August 19th, 2019

@Eventuallydallas I am sorry to hear that. Best thing I have found was to keep trying and eventually you'll find a listener. It can be super frustrating, I know. But I hope you find support. Good luck!

load more
load more