husband was shot, he is physically doing well - i'm just starting to deal with my emotions
HI all,
Not trying to trigger anyone in this post, just hoping to find a safe place i can start procesing my emotions. Three and a half months ago my husband was shot by poeple trying to steal his car from our front driveway. Yes, he was doing something impulsive - but he never thought they would shoot him. His truck is part of his work tools, and it had been stolen previously. We rocoved it with relative minimal damage. He has a brain tumor (not cancer, its being treated - doing well there) and his sleep pattern is disrupted. So, he was awake and heard them start his truck early in the morning, so he went outside to scare them off.
What i haven't done until lately is be wiling to give myself a chance to actually be aware of and confront my feelings on this. I'm hoping this space will help me do just that. The three month anniversay hit us hard and i've realized that i've just pushed this off and was hoping i could make it disappear into the horizon much faster than it has been.
Sometimes I'm just depressed, sometimes I cry (but its hard to let myself) - so i focus on others and my work. But, I'm seeing that others emotions are impacting me way more than they used to, and I know its because I'm not dealing with my own on this. I have no idea what I'm 'supposed to do' or where im 'suposed' to be mentally and emotionally on this. But - i've realied I have to confront my feelings of i'll be in this depressed place forever.
So, is there some kind of 'supposed to' after something like this? Does that make any kind of sense?
Thanks
@HilaryJ
Hi Hilary and a warm welcome to you! We are glad you have joined us here.
I'm so sorry to hear you have been through such a traumatic event. And at home too, right in your driveway. Its good that you your husband is recovering physically, but you are right, the emotional effects are there too.. the depression, the tears.Initially we are in shock, and this numbs and protects us for a whlie. So its not surprising that with the 3 month anniversary you are beginning to feel this more.Its normal. The emotions will come and go like waves, waves that at times can seem overwhelming.So its possible to do what you're saying, immerse yourself in work and somewhat deny the feelings. But if you can allow these feelings, name them, sit with them, and then let them go, this will help in your recovery.I don't know whether you've heard of Mindfulness.. this can be helpful. And support from others, keep talking or writing ..telling your story. There are resources here too and listeners you can talk 1-1. We are here in support. x