Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

An young adult afraid of teens - feels so humiliating

User Profile: givemecoffee
givemecoffee June 11th, 2017

I'm not sure if this is in right place or not, but.. here it goes, I guess

I was bullied, when was 13. I count that year as "main" one because previously wasn't that bad, and after that wasn't as bad, but still bad or at least until 16. Verbally, emotionally, physically at times.

Well, I'm now in my 20's and it's almost 10 years past it. For first 5 years after that, I was constantly scared. If someone touched me, I'd flinch. If someone looked at me, I'd freak out. Random flashbacks, feeling I was back at that school even though I wasn't. I had nightmares about having to go back there, about seeing bullies and classmates. And worse, if I saw one of my bullies, I'd get an anxiety attack and panic rest of the day. And I did see them a few times, and couldn't tell anyone beside me no matter how much they asked, in fear they'd know the boys and know about "me".

And while the flashbacks and the touch/look reactions aren't common, there's things that still bring that past back. Like being around 10-15 year olds. I remember last month had one of my worst anxiety attacks this year, and first time this year with flashbacks and that "back to past" situation, where I felt 13 again. It was probably a day some middle schools decided to take their students out for some fair in town, and I didn't know town would be full of those students. So while eating lunch, I could hear them laughing with each other and I just got stuck in that past experience and couldn't separate today from years ago. I just ate as quick as possible, and when noticed some kids coming near where I was, laughing, I just picked my stuff, threw rest of food and trash on garbage can and ran home.

I'm an adult in my 20's afraid of 14 year olds, this is humiliating.

I'm also unable to trust males because my bullies were boys and also sexually harassed me - and then spread rumors. For some years, I couldn't even talk to a boy in my school, I'd get afraid of being hurt and that would turn in me being rude and "arrogant" some said. When actually was my anxiety/fears affecting the way I acted and talked.

I don't know why I can't fully move past this. I've handled this trauma to bullying in therapy and was having progress, which I was so happy about! No more flashbacks, no more nightmares. And then I realize the trauma is still there. Worse? I think that was what triggered my other mental health issues (unstable moods, depression, social anxiety) to resurface. I may need to take a note of this, so I can talk to my therapist in this week's appointment

2
User Profile: Rain45
Rain45 June 11th, 2017

@givemecoffee Have moved your post to our forum section on trauma through bullying as this feels the most apt place for your post :)

User Profile: Rain45
Rain45 June 11th, 2017

@givemecoffee I am so sorry you had to experience the things that you did and your really brave in being able to speak openly about them here, thank you :) Bullying is never your fault, but even long after the bullying has stopped, the effects on an individual can be massive. You spoke openly of how it has affected your trust, your relationships with males, due to the bullies being male, your anxiety, flashbacks etc. Have you used any grounding techniques which could help you manage your flashbacks a little easier? We have a great resource on managing triggers https://www.7cups.com/forum/TraumaticExperiencesCommunity_60/TraumaRecoveryResources_481/GroundingWhenTriggered_42512/ Sometimes practising these during times when you are not experiencing a flashback or trigger can make it easier to put into practise when its most needed.

I dont know whether you ever felt to blame for what others did to you or not but if you did at some point question if this was your fault, it wasnt!!! Bullies target all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons and nothing excuses their behaviour. Whats important is you in all this and what you need right now to begin to heal from these experiences :)

You mentioned you are seeing a counsellor - Have you been able to share any of this with your counsellor, or with anyone since all this happened? What do you feel you need to begin overcoming these terribly experiences so you can begin to feel free of the effects of the bullying that you have endured? Please feel free to reach out to us there, and if you need to speak to anyone, please remember there are some great listeners here who support members with issues around bullying :)