Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Maltreatment Towards the Mentally Ill? {A Discussion}

April 13th, 2018

Hello everyone!

I would like to begin a topic on the discussion of hate, disrespect, maltreatment, and discrimination, as well as stigmatization and stereotypes towards "mentally ill" persons. I feel that this is a pertinent topic, as this is a mental health support site.

A) Why do you think people with mental illness encounter disrespect, hate, mistreatment, discrimination, and stigmatization? Why do you think people with mental illness are frowned upon in society by others?

B) Do you think this maltreatment should be occurring? Do you think it is fair in nature? Why or why not?

C) What can be done to improve this particular issue? Do you think people with mental illnesses should be treated the same as those with all other health conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, stroke, etc.?

Your thoughts are welcome!

1
User Profile: Booklover95
Booklover95 April 14th, 2018

@Cawfie

A) Why do you think people with mental illness encounter disrespect, hate, mistreatment, discrimination, and stigmatization? Why do you think people with mental illness are frowned upon in society by others?

-Easy. Lack of information and education on the matter.

People act ignorant about things they have no clue about. There's alot of stigma aswell exactly because of that. People come up with really wrong ideas what mental illness is, and most of them don't bother getting educated on it.

I wish schools and workplaces aproached this.

B) Do you think this maltreatment should be occurring? Do you think it is fair in nature? Why or why not?

-Of course not! Imagine someone bullying (verbally, physically or both) a cancer patient! Is equally as wrong. We shouldn't because that's the last thing someone needs, and might even lead them to do something wrong. Even if you don't know anything about mental illness at LEAST listen. Most people just need someone to listen.

C) What can be done to improve this particular issue? Do you think people with mental illnesses should be treated the same as those with all other health conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, stroke, etc.?

-I can't say exactly the same because all cases in mental illness are very different. They should get help though! And free help! Is also a matter of health, if people have access to a basic health care system, they should too for mental illness.

To prevent , like I said, information.

First of all schools should talk about this since kids are young (many parents will disagree but if they knew kids could have had this they would change their minds...) , in the workplaces, so on.

Also , us, mentally ill people, need to start talking and not being ashamed of it. It should be normal to go to a friend like "hey man having really bad anxiety about this project / feeling so depressed today, think we can hang out?" . That way people could feel supported and the "taboo" wouldn't be as big.

I often encounter people who are so ashamed of their mental health, and I realised we shouldn't. Personally I started this myself, I decided to be honest with everyone I know. People in our lifes that actually love us should support us, just like we support them.