Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I want to have genuine good friends. Can we be friends?

User Profile: NeonOwl149
NeonOwl149 August 19th

I am a 20-year-old technology enthusiast and self-described tech nerd, turning 21 this year. Technology is not merely an academic or professional interest for me; it is something I genuinely and truly enjoy exploring, understanding, experimenting with, and obsessing over. I tend to dive deep into technical subjects, often going beyond what is formally required and exploring how systems work internally, why they behave the way they do, and how they can be improved or broken. (Thanks to my ADHD)

My primary interests lie across cybersecurity, application security, artificial intelligence, machine learning, software engineering, AI research, and emerging technologies. I particularly enjoy security research and bug hunting. I adore understanding complex systems from first principles, identifying weaknesses, experimenting with different approaches, and turning those discoveries into something practically useful.

I am also strongly interested in artificial intelligence and academic research. I enjoy reading research papers, studying emerging architectures and methodologies, experimenting with models and frameworks, and thinking about how research can be translated into practical systems. I have an inclination toward independent research and enjoy working on ideas that sit at the intersection of AI, cybersecurity, automation, and intelligent systems.

Outside technical work, I adore books, manga, manhwa, anime, history, geography, politics, and learning about different cultures and Ideas. I enjoy intellectual conversations and discussions where there is something substantive to explore rather than merely exchanging small talk. I am particularly drawn toward people who are curious, ambitious, intellectually open-minded, and passionate about what they do.

Personally, I can be somewhat reserved around unfamiliar people. I experience anxiety and panic attacks, and I also have mixed-type ADHD, which can sometimes make social situations, attention regulation, emotional regulation, and maintaining consistent routines considerably more difficult. At the same time, these challenges do not define me or the extent of what I am capable of. I have learned to function alongside them and continue pursuing things that genuinely matter to me.

I tend to have an intense internal world. I think about things extensively, analyse situations from multiple perspectives, and can sometimes overthink details that other people might overlook. I care deeply about the things and people I become invested in, and I can be considerably more emotionally affected by certain experiences than I may initially show externally.

I am highly ambitious and have a strong desire to build something meaningful with my technical abilities. I do not want to simply follow a conventional path because it is considered safe or expected. I want to develop expertise, conduct meaningful research, discover difficult problems, build interesting systems, and eventually contribute something that exists beyond just my résumé or academic credentials.

At the same time, I am still figuring myself out. I am young, still learning how I want trajectory and life to develop, and still making mistakes along the way. I have a ton of ambition, but I also recognise that ambition comes with uncertainty, setbacks, periods of self-doubt, and an enormous amount of learning.

I would describe myself as curious, technically obsessive, ambitious, analytical, independent-minded, intellectually driven, and sometimes excessively introspective. I enjoy understanding difficult things, building things from scratch, questioning conventional approaches, and constantly trying to become better at whatever I choose to pursue.

34
User Profile: WellsFiction
WellsFiction August 23rd

@NeonOwl149 Hi NeonOwl. Nice to meet you. I'm 31. You can make lots of friends here :)

7 replies
User Profile: NeonOwl149
NeonOwl149 OP August 23rd

Greetings, @WellsFiction

I am getting responses on threads, but I have not made Friends here. Is there anything I am doing wrong here or perhaps do you have tips for me to follow here? I will be grateful in case you could shread light on it.

(Moreover; how are you doing? How was your day? I trust the thread uncovers you in good health and high spirits.

Good day to YOU 🤍

REGARDS

Neon

6 replies
User Profile: WellsFiction
WellsFiction August 25th

@NeonOwl149 Hello again. Thank you very much. I'm sorry you aren't getting any feedback. Happens sometime. Keep commenting and someone will respond. Might take some time, but they will. Hope you're doing well, friend :)

5 replies
User Profile: NeonOwl149
NeonOwl149 OP August 25th

Thank You for taking the moment to write this here. My gratitude to you. I am doing better than last week. How about you?

4 replies
User Profile: dapperGrapes9449
dapperGrapes9449 August 25th

Hey man

3 replies
User Profile: NeonOwl149
NeonOwl149 OP August 25th

Greetings, @dapperGrapes9449

2 replies
User Profile: dapperGrapes9449
dapperGrapes9449 August 25th

You on ***?

1 reply
User Profile: NeonOwl149
NeonOwl149 OP August 25th

It's censored. What platform are you talking about here?

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Internationalnurse
Internationalnurse August 23rd

Hi welcome to 7 cups I will be 22 this year hope we could be friends 💓

1 reply
User Profile: NeonOwl149
NeonOwl149 OP August 23rd

Greetings, @Internationalnurse

load more
User Profile: agreeablePear7836
agreeablePear7836 August 25th

@NeonOwl149

Hi Neon Owl, I am new to this site as well. I am 69 years old, so I don't know if you need a friend that old :), but I have a project that maybe you could help me with as you have the background it sounds like to make things happen online. At 69, I am still figuring out myself too, so don't worry, this is a lifetime endeavor and probably a reason why we are here! I am an artist (among other things) and have created something that maybe if you can understand, you could help others to understand. Let me know if you might be interested in taking a look. In any case, I wish you to find what you are looking for Neon!

2 replies
User Profile: NeonOwl149
NeonOwl149 OP August 25th

Greetings, @agreeablePear7836

I am honoured that you took a minute to respond here. I must admit that I am not new here and I have been visiting since 2018, but it is my first time in the forums here. There's no age in being friends, and from the place I hail from, we don't really measure the worth of a friendship by the number of years someone has lived.

Your message, however, did pique my curiosity. The project you mentioned sounds rather intriguing, particularly the part about having created something that you believe could help others understand it. I would certainly be interested in taking a look, especially if there is something I might be able to contribute from the technical side. I do enjoy figuring out how seemingly abstract ideas can be translated into something tangible and comprehensible.

And I quite like what you said about still figuring yourself out at 69. I suppose that is one of the more beautiful things about being alive: there is never really a point at which the process of becoming ceases. Perhaps that is indeed part of why we are here.

If you are comfortable sharing it, I would be glad to hear more about what you have created and what you hope others might understand through it. I cannot promise that I will immediately comprehend the entire conception behind it, but I can certainly promise to approach it with curiosity rather than presumption.

In any case, thank you for reaching out, and I hope you find whatever it is that brought you here as well.

1 reply
User Profile: agreeablePear7836
agreeablePear7836 August 25th

@NeonOwl149

Hi Neon, my site is lisawray.com or reiki-tarot.com.

I have created a set of 60 cards which I finished when my husband passed away in 2010. I was on a lonely journey of grief and I wasn't sure I was going to make it or even want to. I went back to school after being a graphic artist for over 35 years to study certified nursing and massage therapy. Those fields led me to add what I call 9 shadow cards which helped me to go within myself for answers and inspiration. I was 53 years old then and the world had already started to change in so many ways. I would like to get the word out about my cards, but I really dislike social media. It seems everything now costs so much money and is a subscription. Back in my day, all software was legacy, and I still use that software sometimes. I was thinking about how I could get the word out with different algorithms or maybe you have some ideas to a niche market of folks who would like to be able to learn how to read these cards by themselves .. maybe develop a course and I could help with interpretation or divination online. There are many free spreads I have online as well, so a person doesn't have to purchase the deck at all. I'm wondering if you could take a look and have some input regarding which way I should go forward. Thanks for corresponding back!  Lisa

load more
load more