Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

If you observe the holiday, what did you get for the people in your life for Christmas this year?

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 December 21st, 2021

Full-disclosure, I make this thread knowing that I have yet to start my shopping yet, haha!

In recent years, I have whittled down the number of people I get stuff for. Money is obviously a factor, but in the past, I also had somewhat of a self-inflicted pressure to get almost everyone in my life something for fear I was sending the wrong message to them.

Thankfully, I learned to prioritize and have also learned for myself that it's not so much what I get for someone, but the message behind it. The popular phrase "it's the thought that counts" really resonates with me as I get older with each Christmas season.

Anyway! For my two best friends, I got them a game they wanted on the Nintendo Switch. For my sister, I got her a nice bracelet. And for her kids, I got all of them a game to share.

So yeah, for those of you that do observe Christmas (and the gift-giving aspect), what did you get for the people in your lives?

4
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 December 21st, 2021

@sereneSunset26

I agree with you that "it's the thought that counts".

What game did you get for the sister's kids?

With my family, we agreed not to have many presents, only to get one present for everyone. For my best friend, I got an envelope purse, and I still did not buy anything for two other friends as my exam period just ended. It is always difficult to get something for my dad, but he said he ran out of his favorite hand cream so I guess that will make it haha. For my mum, I bought flower bulbs to plant in the garden and for my sister some clothes she liked.


User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 21st, 2021

@globalBraid3744

I ended up getting my sister's kids a game they could also all play on their Nintendo Switch, Rayman Legends.

Honestly, I think that's a great idea for your family to agree not to do many gifts. In mine, there always seems like there's some consternation over gifts/who to get stuff for. And that just takes away from the spirit of the holiday for me, as in, ideally enjoying each other's company.

load more
User Profile: crimsonIdea5257
crimsonIdea5257 December 22nd, 2021

I have been struggling to figure out what to do this year, I will be seeing all of my family for the first time in 3 years! I have not gotten gifts for most people (for financial reasons as well as not knowing what to get them), but I made a terrarium for my sister because she wanted to start collecting plants. I also recreated a portrait of my grandfather when he was a kid that his grandmother drew, except I did an oil painting version.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 22nd, 2021

@crimsonIdea5257

You know, I think seeing your family for the first time in 3 years is pretty awesome! And the personal touch of making that terrarium for your sister, I feel, means a whole lot more than buying a gift honestly. Mainly because of all of the time put into making the gift.

The older I get, the more I feel like my mentality towards gifts has changed. I used to really people-please and felt like I had to get something for literally *everyone* in my life. But now, I tend to prioritize towards the people who I'm closest to, and hopefully, vice-versa.

load more