questions from a teen girl :1 (tw!! body image issues + poor self care)
hi all! my name is cammy and I'm a freshman in highschool! just joined this site so please tell me if I'm doing it wrong!! I just have some questions for older girls as I don't really have an older female compass in my life and I'm trying to get my footing and understand the world or something?? idk.
um, I'm just gonna get right into it I guess.
my first question is do people really not care about the way you look? it feels like every time I go somewhere I feel like people are just looking at my body and judging the way my clothes fit, the way my hair looks, ect. its just so stressful going out in public when it feels like a humiliation ritual or something. I don't want to feel like this and it makes my life a lot harder not knowing if my brain is tricking me or if I'm right and people are actually staring at me. its gotten to the point where I just wont leave the house for anything other than school because I'm scared people are gonna look at me and judge my body.
my second question is does life get easier when you're older? do you really stop thinking of what other people think of you or is that just what they say in movies? I know the responsibilities part of getting older gets harder and that's not a lie but does all that cheesy stuff they say in films have some truth to it?
my third question is probably not a good question and it might be triggering for others with bad body image so please be warned!!
but I just have to know, do you get thinner as you get older? like do you drop weight easier? this si probably a bad way to think, and I know that, but I just have to get the truth. idk.
if you read all of this, thank you!! xoxo
@cammyleigh123 Hello and welcome! Hope you find the support and guidance you need on here 🫶
Everyone is different in their insecurities, their struggles and self esteem. So i can just give you some of the things i learned along the way (im 23), in hopes they can be helpful.
In my experience it does get better. I used to feel so insecure about myself and my body when i was in primary school and high school. I was a little overweight, had a big bust, and didnt know how to fit in socially. As i grew older, i started to notice more things that i liked and to care less about others. I also started to take more care of my health and my body. I have accepted the body i was given, and i try to cherish it for all it can do for me, im not trying to be a supermodel (it would be imposible genetically for me), im just looking after it the best i can.
But I still struggle with self image and self esteem from time to time. But my older sister always tells me, as you grow older, is not that you dont care about looking good, is that you have a new perspective. You are not trying to be like somebody else, or to be accepted to a specific group, you just want to be more yourself, more authentic, and to be healthy and in peace.
So i think is normal that when we are young, we tend to be more aware of ourselves and how the world perceives us, but as we grow older we start to care about other stuff more (again, is not the same for everyone, but in my experience and others around me that seems to be the case)
As for the third question, i think the answer is it depends. On your habits, your genes, your lifestyle, etc. Some people grow taller in a few months after puberty, others stay relativetly the same. I dont think its helpful to give yourself those expectations on how you are gonna look when you are older. You can, however, start doing things and activities that (first of all) you like, and that may help you reach a healthier state when you are older (i am focusing on health, not on body image, as that is the most important part imo)
I dont know if this rant was helpful, or even understandable😅 I remember those times where i felt so uncomfortable with myself, and i whished i could have told myself some of this too. Hope you can find some value in it too <3
@cammyleigh123
Hello, cammy. I am Remina, a 31 year old woman, I don't mind answering some questions and being an older female compass in your life.
For your first question.... do people really not care about the way you look? Well, people who matter are not going to care how you look. There are always going to be people who might "care" and judge, but their opinions are not worth listening to. As you get older and find your group, your people, they care less about material things like clothes, hair. I understand right now you're a teenager, and you're worried about being judged. Let me fill you in on a secret, most people are usually in their own world, and not really thinking of you or giving you much thought beyond a few seconds if they do happen to look at you.
As for your second question, does life get easier when you're older? Yes, it can definitely get easier. This doesn't mean that you're not going to have pain or struggles after you're not a teenager. Life would be boring if it was perfect haha. But yeah, as you get older, you find that you care less what other people think of you because you realize that you don't really care for their opinion. You also have more control as you get older, more control of what you eat, what you wear, who you interact with.
Getting to your third question, do you get thinner as you get older, do you drop weight easier? This depends on individual factors and there is no right or wrong answer to this question. I know that I have always been told that the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight but it also depends on what you eat and your metabolism and the lifestyle you choose to live as an adult.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
@Remina
thank you so much for your advice!! it really helps a ton, so thank you for spending the time to share your thoughts!! :)
@cammyleigh123
You're welcome!