Why do I always think I've got cancer?

77 Answers.
GregariousAngie

Google the symptoms. I'm a doctor, and believe me the ones who think so are usually the ones who never get it. so calm down. If not, is there anything that disturbs you on an everyday basis or anyone in your family who had it or who passed away because of cancer? That could possibly have a correlation

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
Anonymous

Hey, I'm worried that I have cancer. About 6 1/2 years ago, I was told by a doctor that I could have melanoma (skin cancer). I think I should go & see the doctor again because I could possibly be showing signs/symptoms of melanoma.

rainbowbrite1

Thinking that you have an illness such as cancer could be a phobia called hypochondria or also known as health anxiety, maybe get checked for peace of mind.

Anonymous

Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.

Sariethe1975

If you're anything like me, you always look up your symptoms on webmd or google and those sites always tell you that you have cancer. Majority of the time you're fine though.

Why do I think I have cancer?

YellowDaffies

If you actually were diagnosed with cancer, what do you imagine would happen? Could it be possible that you are looking for that outcome to happen in your life? Are there other ways that you could get those outcomes in a productive, healthy way?

mikemc

Sometimes depression is a very complicated thing. Always make sure to make regular appointments with your healthcare provider. Get all lab work and tests done to ensure it is not. The fear of cancer is very real and can take a toll on a person. However, it is often not cancer. The fear alone of cancer can be devastating. If it is not, make sure to seek personal help through a counselor or therapist...as that fear can be just as taxing on you psychologically as cancer is taxing physically.

Karlafer

Nervousness or anxiety usually comes from wondering about the future, somehow we find ourselves thinking on the future avoiding the present not even being aware of it, perhaps product of our tendency to overthink, its important to be aware of it so one can work on calming the mind and start to occupy about the worrys instead of just concern about them, to be in the present and actually enjoy the moment.

SunshineKiss202

Are you scared of having cancer? Does it run in your family? Do you worry yourself that you may have cancer? I'm sure at least one of these questions is true in your mind, & Honestly, If you want to stop thinking like that, Then I would contact your doctor & have them do a blood test & a check up to make sure that all is fine. But I think it is your worried mind making you think that.

Anonymous

Maybe because your anxiety always makes you come to the worst possible conclusion. Which would end up as rash = skin cancer.

Armanta

Thinking you always have some sort of incurable or chronic disease isn't as rare as people think. But it's more about people jumping to conclusions when they present with certain symptoms and of course, symptom searching on the internet leads to drastic conclusions about what you might have. The best way to deal with it is to try to prevent self diagnosing and if there is something you are truly concerned about go to see your doctor/gp about it, for a formal diagnosis. It could be nothing, but everything , especially related to cancer, is worth geting checked out.

mkehelper

With all the information available today it can be easy and tempting to self-diagnose ourselves, however it is best if you have any health concerns to see a doctor for their opinion. If the doctor rules out any medical issues and you still find yourself thinking something is wrong you may be struggling with anxiety. A trained therapist can help you resolve the symptoms of this anxiety.

Anonymous

This is something anxiety does to trick us into thinking we're sick. Anxiety is a monster that looms around us, looking for something that will make us miserable. It is also a liar, so it makes things up that we can't help but believe. So when you think that you have cancer, it is the lying voice of anxiety trying to convince you of something that is not there.

zaix

I'm not sure, maybe you feel like you have symptoms that indicate cancer? you'd have to go get checked out if you think you do.

NicolesAdviceAndSupport

You may be a hypochondriac. I am one myself. It's where you think you have always got an illness. Maybe you should go to the doctor, to see if you actually DO have something wrong. If that's not the case, maybe visit a therapist.

Justbreath2am

I have health anxiety, it's a horrible thing. You have it similar to me; some people just get a fear of one specific thing (like cancer or heart attack) whereas, like you, I can get it for any physical symptom whatsoever. First thing to bear in mind is that the chances are, all of the pains you get are anxiety itself. That's the problem with anxiety; one of my most common problems was fearing a heart attack, and what does anxiety do? Raises your heart rate and makes you feel like you're having a heart attack! It's a vicious cycle. The first thing I'd suggest is getting some help; obviously you can go through your doctor or, if that's too hard, Anxiety UK are there to help and can refer you for CBT or other therapy (whatever suits you). I've also got a copy of the book 'Overcoming Health Anxiety' by Rob Willson and David Veale which does what the title says... it tries to help people like us overcome health anxiety! I wouldn't say that this is the only solution though, I learnt the best thing to do is talk to a professional who understands what you're going through. You've already taken an important step by being open about it on here. Involve family and friends too if you feel you can, they may not understand exactly what you're going through but they can support you through it.

uniquecreature41

Cancer is widely publicised because of the fact it claims so many lives. Awareness of the disease is useful in fighting it but it can also alarm people who might be unwell but haven't found a diagnosis yet. It's also worth noting that an internet search is a poor diagnostic tool and cannot replace a medical doctor when treating a problem as it doesn't have sentient access to the patient and therefore cannot treat the person as a whole.

Alia3475

For me, it was because I was raised by a parent who always jumped to worst case scenario. A head ache was a brain tumor, that sort of thing. But our culture does a LOT of awareness around early cancer detection, so I think we've all been "programmed" to some extent, to always be aware of potential symptoms. For me, the best way to control this anxious voice is to get regular physicals and keep up with my other doctor appointments. I can remind myself that I had blood work done in May, and that everything was fine.

strawberryLake18

Maybe there is someone in your family that had it before ?? Or it can be just a random thing you do

GoddessOfBlossoms

At first, you need to find out if you really have a cancer. You can ask a doctor for that to prove if you really have and so that you can be treated early. If you have non and you really always think that you have a cancer consult a psychiatrist. You might have HYPOCHONDRIASIS. It's when a person interprets the slightest physical changes in their body as a sign of serious illness, as what you say, cancer.

Isakov

I had the same problem for a very long time! Many of the symptoms of cancer can be manifested purely by anxiety. Whether it's a lump in the throat, a bruise not heeling, or even a weird pulsating sensation somewhere in the body. Unfortunately, this is a self-actualizing cycle since the anxiety will cause these symptoms and thus further anxiety! I recommend doing everything you can to relax, and you'll notice your symptoms and thoughts start go away. If not, seeing a medical professional is very important to prevent full-blown hypochondria.

Elliott13

Dealing with medical paranoia can be difficult. Try not to look up your symptoms online, and trust your doctors to know when you have a problem. It can be especially difficult for those of us who know someone who has had cancer or dealt with medical issues. Keep in mind that that person's journey is not your journey. When you start to feel yourself becoming paranoid, have a plan in place and don't let yourself fall too far down the rabbit hole. Remind yourself how may times you thought you had cancer previously, and ask yourself if you were correct any of those times. Based on your track record, do you really think you have anything to worry about? There are a lot of reasons you could have these concerns, but if it's really weighing on you, a higher priority could be figuring out how to deal with these concerns on a day-to-day basis.

Millichidulinas

You could be so scared about this, maybe. This could be a good possibility. I hope you'll ever get it.

Anonymous

may be cause you are studying too much about cancer.. when we study something too much we think that we are suffering from it ! also known as Medical students' disease also known as second year syndrome or intern's syndrome !

skylerraber1234

I tend to always think the worst when it comes to me being ill thats probably because all my life I heard the motto "pray for the best, prepare for the worst". So, in many situations I think people are like me and try to prepare the mind for news like cancer if an illness is present. Also, technically speaking every human being has "cancer" it just haven't multiplied for effected us yet.

charmingsmiles
April 2nd, 2016 2:39am

You may be a hypochondriac, or someone who always thinks that they have a serious illness. The smallest discomfort or pain makes them worried, even if a doctor tells them they are fine.

Hazikk

why dont you consult your doctor and share this feeling you have. I am sure that your doctor will help you get over such thoughts.

breathealine

It's a common topic in modern media, and everyone finds themselves prone to symptom by suggestion. It's much easier to cope with if you have a label for it, and as cancer encompasses many areas of illness, it often seems to fit the situation. If it is a serious concern, it is better to see a health professional than to diagnose.

Anonymous

It might be nerves. Or not having an answer. Some aches and pains are not always specific to a certain condition. And that may make you anxous.

919angela

that s cause you think negative try to think positive cause if you think positive you will have nothing to lose and will help to feel better and happier and just to prove you are healthier visit a doctor and do analysis

zoecollins11

People always think they have cancer because they know cancer is a terrible disease, so when even the slightest problem occurs with them and their body, they think worst case scenario and automatically thinks cancer.

BabyKirby

I find that over-researching is the main culprit. I find it helps to visit my general practitioner and making sure that all is well.

StormyAngles18

Most likely it could be paranoia. The reason why I say that is you may have research symptoms on line or heard of it through watching tv or something and in doing so you may experience them and automatically think its cancer when it probably isn't . But if you feel that you have cancer see a doctor to give you more assurance if needed.

LittleBecky

Because cancer is such a big thing, you could be a hypochondriac and the smallest symptom or feeling can make you think of cancer, the internet has a big play in this for the blame.

Anonymous

Have you gone to the doctor and been diagnosed with cancer? If you have gone to the doctor and you've been diagnosed with cancer. You should listen to options he recommends. You can then take his advice or not. However, a listener will always be here to support you regardless of your decision.

YourePerfect

Maybe you've got someone in your family or close friends who have died on cancer? Or maybe you're just too much concerned about your health, this might be a sign of depression.

Refridgegator

The availability heuristic may be at play. You can come up with specific examples of people suffering from cancer, and therefore, it seems more likely to happen. People also fall victim to this way of thinking about airplanes, and cruise ships. They think it is likely (even though statistically it is pretty rare) that their boat will sink (the titanic) or their plane will crash (lots of examples) because they've heard about it happening to others.

Anonymous

Because you are afraid that you might have cancer, you are stressed out, realx and chill, go out take walk, read positive stuff :)

moonchild29

Perhaps it's hypochondriac? That's when you always thing something really serious and bad is happening to you (especially related to health). Take a medical check to ease your mind. I hope you're well. :)

Anonymous

Influences in the media can leave us very paranoid, especially if a family member has it. I would suggest seeing a doctor to put your mind at ease.

HelpWisely

Because you have conditioned your mind to think in this way. It could also be that you have a deep fear of cancer so you unconsciously bring this though to manifest from your mind.

Anonymous

I think you should get a check up.. actually anyone is at risk at getting cancer but then it depends on how you look after your own health. So rather than worrying, its better take up tests.

SquishyRaspberries

It sounds like you may have hypochondria. Hypochondria is a common medical condition where you are very anxious about your health. It's a good idea to see your doctor to make sure everything really is okay. This will both help dissuade your fears and potentially lead you in the right direction to getting help with your condition.

softNutella25

Have you ever known or do you currently know someone who does have cancer? Cancer is an awful disease (my mother has had it twice and I've had other family members die from it) so it is understandable that you would feel fearful and anxious. If it's starting to affect your life, consider talking to a professional about your fears.

Anonymous

It sounds like you assume the worst case scenario when something goes wrong health wise. You should try and start assuming it's something less serious. (But if it seems bad then get it checked out)

Anonymous

I have the same mental obsession... for me this fear is linked to the ambivalent emotions to the end of life, especially present when I am under stress

sweetCandy976

Cancer is a very worrying thing. It does affect People all over this world and that may be causing you to think that you have it. If you have breasts do regularly give yourself examinations ( there is examples online ) or go to a doctor to put your mind at ease. Cancer is something that can happen to anyone and this is stressful and worrying, however you sould get regular checks by your doctor to avoid you feeling like this. Good luck :).

Anonymous

Have you spoken to a medical professional about how you always think you have cancer? This may be a symptom of a treatable condition such as hypochondria.

Zac001

Sometimes anxiety can make us fear the worst. I assured myself I had HIV once, for no reason on than I read an article about it. Fear of something that is out of our hands is tough to deal with.

Anonymous

That happens to me too! I have this freckle on my lips and I keep on thinking it is skin cancer. Try to consult a doctor to confirm it

Supergirl94

Do you go to WebMd or any similar medical sites? That could be a big reason ;) Or if you keep looking up every single symptom you feel and keep finding results to cancer. Or you may be paranoid you have cancer because you don't want to die or to find out the bad news, of an illness that could take your life and that could take everything from you. Or maybe its a gut feeling you should follow. Really there are so many reasons, trust your instincts

ListeningBunny22

Honestly, I think you have a soft spot for people with cancer, but yet to realize. Just know you're not alone

wonderousWaterfall34

It's possible that you are suffering from hypochondria. This means you constantly think something is wrong with your body. However if you truly think something is wrong talk to your doctor.

Anonymous

Cancer is very scary. It's also a very popular topic. It can subconsciously be on your mind which makes you fear you have the symptoms of it.

Anonymous

Because you focus more on negativity around you and less on positive atmosphere and love around you.

Phillestertheangel

If you really do think you have cancer, then you should tell your parents and your doctor. It is important to make sure that you don't have cancer.

caringdaisy

You could be a hypochondriac. A hypochondriac is someone who believes they have a sickness and is truely worried about it and is scared of getting sicknesses. You will feel like you have the symptoms and will feel sick even when you are perfectly fine. If you are truely worried about cancer - go see a doctor to get your mind at ease.

Anonymous

You could be a hypochondriac or if your family has a history of it-maybe it's just paranoia? If you really feel like you might have, be on the safe side and go get tested if you're able.

Anonymous

You may experience the symptoms of hypochondriasis, fear of disease. Other mental struggles may be a cause for that.

JUST2ME

Maybe because people talk to much about it. Please consult a doctor and if he says that you don't have it everything is fine :)

BrightPup

A lot of people have worries about their health. I know I have certainly jumped to the worst conclusion at times myself. Sometimes a worry like "I must have cancer," can just be a sign that you care a lot about your health! If that's where the worry comes from, it can be helpful to think about actionable steps you could take towards supporting a healthy life. For example, taking a walk or swapping a dessert for a fruit every now and then.

Recent Answers
Anonymous

That might be health anxiety. Its a type of anxiwty where you believe you have an illness. However, you should visit a doctor so that they can tell you what is happening

readingDream88

If you've experienced a loss of someone close to you who had cancer, you might just be paranoid about getting it, as a way of coping with the grief. You might also be a hypochondriac - a person has a lot of anxiety and preoccupation about having one or multiple illnesses.

Ziggy3339

You wonder why you just always think you have cancer, is that right? Tell me more about this please, ok.

ThoughtlessDesign

Because death is frightening, and anxiety builds way too easily. Regular doctors visits will catch cancer, so try not to obsess over things that aren't likely to occur.

Anonymous

Maybe you have in some way convinced yourself that you do. I imagine you probably think so because you're likely a negative person afraid of any disease. And somehow, this has affected you fearing that you have a very serious one.

EmunahHere

It sounds like you're experiencing some health anxiety. When we notice something different about our bodies, whether it's a sore throat, lump, bump, or even a headache, our minds might automatically assume the worst case scenario, which is often cancer or an incurable disease, when we are experiencing health related anxiety. We operate in a cycle of "what-if" and often seek reassurance from friends, family, the internet, and medical professionals. I'm sending you hugs because experiencing health anxiety can be very scary and frustrating. We often recognize that the worst case scenario is not likely, but our minds still experience the anxiety and go through the "what-if" thinking like it is. If you are in any doubt, you can always check with your licensed medical professional regarding any health concerns as well as any anxiety concerns.

VanessaGraceStory

There could be many reasons why you always think you got cancer. A few examples could be that you might be health cautious, afraid of getting ill or sick, ocd, you might have an intuitive feeling and unsure why you feel that way, your experiencing the symptoms, etc. You'll have to ask yourself this question and figure out why that may be. You could get tests done to see if it's true or if you have done tests and you still feel you might have cancer then maybe you feel they we're wrong or something. You would know yourself and your situation better then anyone else would for sure.

HeyItsRoo

It is common for people with anxiety to take something and think of the worst possibility. We've all done it before. If you are seriously concerned, just go see a doctor and they can put your worries to rest.

soothingStrawberry61

In one word Google. Our minds like to take things to the worst case. If you friend doesn't call back you think 'uh oh what did I last say, did i make her mad?" When you get a call from the school nurse you think the worst. Its just the way we are wired. It may help you to remember previous times where you thought the worst but it was something minimal. Training your brain to maybe not go full out every time something comes up. It may also help to try to work in meditation daily so you can see how your river of thoughts work.

Tali

It's called "health anxiety", some people have this condition. Maybe you're having these thoughts because you are insecure about your health and are afraid of losing it, or are afraid of dying. It's normal to worry about your health but if it gets in the way of living a fulfilling life without fear, then it's worth discussing with a therapist.

Hatake510

Our brain thinks about the worst possible situations that could happen to us. It's common for a person to think they are suffering from something tragic. One could be very anxious about these things and worry a lot. It's recommended to take a walk or exercise to move on from such thoughts.

KawaiiG

It seems like you are suffering from hypochondria. This is a condition where you think you have a severe disease. I have dealt with this for four years, and it left me with anxiety and PTSD from years of unjust paranoia over something that did not even happen. I really hope that you do not have cancer, but if this is related to hypochondria, please seek help immediately! Also, just to ease your worry, please feel free to visit a doctor soon just to ensure that you are okay!

Anonymous

If this is a reoccurring thing in your life then you should consult a trained professional. There are mental illnesses where you believe that you have a life-threatening illness.

peacefulkat

It could be because someone in your family has cancer or someone really close to you has died from cancer or they have it. You could look at the symptoms and think you have it and worry that you might have it.

Anonymous

Anxiety can often lead to misconception and constant worrying about health. Be sure to contact a reliable doctor and avoid any unreliable sources. Confidence in your health helps, so check up with a doctor when you can!

Anonymous

Health anxiety is a legitimate category of anxiety. If you worry about this a lot or about other health conditions, you might have a bit of an anxiety problem a therapist could help you work on. If it's happening occasionally, it might just be a reaction to how scary cancer can be and how often it's mentioned in the media, in routine medical testing, etc.

Anonymous