Why do I always think I've got cancer?

100 Answers.
Top Rated Answer
GregariousAngie
Google the symptoms. I'm a doctor, and believe me the ones who think so are usually the ones who never get it. so calm down. If not, is there anything that disturbs you on an everyday basis or anyone in your family who had it or who passed away because of cancer? That could possibly have a correlation
Newest Answer
Anonymous
Cancer affects so many people- and it has so many different symptoms, it's easy to be paranoid about it.

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
Anonymous
Hey, I'm worried that I have cancer. About 6 1/2 years ago, I was told by a doctor that I could have melanoma (skin cancer). I think I should go & see the doctor again because I could possibly be showing signs/symptoms of melanoma.
ChocoholicMouse
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
rainbowbrite1
Thinking that you have an illness such as cancer could be a phobia called hypochondria or also known as health anxiety, maybe get checked for peace of mind.
Sariethe1975
If you're anything like me, you always look up your symptoms on webmd or google and those sites always tell you that you have cancer. Majority of the time you're fine though.
Anonymous
November 21st, 2017 3:18am
I'm only 13 and I'm thinking of me having CANCER. I'm so scared and I've seen many doctors but I keep getting new symptoms
YellowDaffies
If you actually were diagnosed with cancer, what do you imagine would happen? Could it be possible that you are looking for that outcome to happen in your life? Are there other ways that you could get those outcomes in a productive, healthy way?
mikemc
Sometimes depression is a very complicated thing. Always make sure to make regular appointments with your healthcare provider. Get all lab work and tests done to ensure it is not. The fear of cancer is very real and can take a toll on a person. However, it is often not cancer. The fear alone of cancer can be devastating. If it is not, make sure to seek personal help through a counselor or therapist...as that fear can be just as taxing on you psychologically as cancer is taxing physically.
Anonymous
Are you scared of having cancer? Does it run in your family? Do you worry yourself that you may have cancer? I'm sure at least one of these questions is true in your mind, & Honestly, If you want to stop thinking like that, Then I would contact your doctor & have them do a blood test & a check up to make sure that all is fine. But I think it is your worried mind making you think that.
Drskuter
I am in the same boat! I make myself absolutely sick with worry by constantly going to Google and searching the same terms over and over again: “pancreatic cancer,” “unexplained weight loss,” “signs I don’t have cancer,” etc. It is exhausting and draining. Knowing my age, lack of risk factors, etc., does not help. However, other things I have read on line also provide great support, including groups like these. I also had a check up today at my local doctor’s surgery, and had a chance to express what I think are my silly concerns with the nurse. She was compassionate, a good listener, and kindly said, “I really don’t know how else to provide you with reassurance,” explaining in her professional and lovely way, that my “symptoms,” were not indicative of anything morose or evil at all. I have always had difficulty believing that nothing bad is going to happen. We recently moved, I no longer work outside the home, and my stress levels are considerably diminished. I’m the type, then, who is always waiting for the other show to drop, especially when the stars seem to have aligned in my favor. Sigh. I’d love feedback on this!
Karlafer
Nervousness or anxiety usually comes from wondering about the future, somehow we find ourselves thinking on the future avoiding the present not even being aware of it, perhaps product of our tendency to overthink, its important to be aware of it so one can work on calming the mind and start to occupy about the worrys instead of just concern about them, to be in the present and actually enjoy the moment.
zaix
I'm not sure, maybe you feel like you have symptoms that indicate cancer? you'd have to go get checked out if you think you do.
Anonymous
This is something anxiety does to trick us into thinking we're sick. Anxiety is a monster that looms around us, looking for something that will make us miserable. It is also a liar, so it makes things up that we can't help but believe. So when you think that you have cancer, it is the lying voice of anxiety trying to convince you of something that is not there.
Justbreath2am
I have health anxiety, it's a horrible thing. You have it similar to me; some people just get a fear of one specific thing (like cancer or heart attack) whereas, like you, I can get it for any physical symptom whatsoever. First thing to bear in mind is that the chances are, all of the pains you get are anxiety itself. That's the problem with anxiety; one of my most common problems was fearing a heart attack, and what does anxiety do? Raises your heart rate and makes you feel like you're having a heart attack! It's a vicious cycle. The first thing I'd suggest is getting some help; obviously you can go through your doctor or, if that's too hard, Anxiety UK are there to help and can refer you for CBT or other therapy (whatever suits you). I've also got a copy of the book 'Overcoming Health Anxiety' by Rob Willson and David Veale which does what the title says... it tries to help people like us overcome health anxiety! I wouldn't say that this is the only solution though, I learnt the best thing to do is talk to a professional who understands what you're going through. You've already taken an important step by being open about it on here. Involve family and friends too if you feel you can, they may not understand exactly what you're going through but they can support you through it.
zoecollins11
People always think they have cancer because they know cancer is a terrible disease, so when even the slightest problem occurs with them and their body, they think worst case scenario and automatically thinks cancer.
Anonymous
Maybe because your anxiety always makes you come to the worst possible conclusion. Which would end up as rash = skin cancer.
Elliott13
Dealing with medical paranoia can be difficult. Try not to look up your symptoms online, and trust your doctors to know when you have a problem. It can be especially difficult for those of us who know someone who has had cancer or dealt with medical issues. Keep in mind that that person's journey is not your journey. When you start to feel yourself becoming paranoid, have a plan in place and don't let yourself fall too far down the rabbit hole. Remind yourself how may times you thought you had cancer previously, and ask yourself if you were correct any of those times. Based on your track record, do you really think you have anything to worry about? There are a lot of reasons you could have these concerns, but if it's really weighing on you, a higher priority could be figuring out how to deal with these concerns on a day-to-day basis.
Armanta
Thinking you always have some sort of incurable or chronic disease isn't as rare as people think. But it's more about people jumping to conclusions when they present with certain symptoms and of course, symptom searching on the internet leads to drastic conclusions about what you might have. The best way to deal with it is to try to prevent self diagnosing and if there is something you are truly concerned about go to see your doctor/gp about it, for a formal diagnosis. It could be nothing, but everything , especially related to cancer, is worth geting checked out.
NicolesAdviceAndSupport
You may be a hypochondriac. I am one myself. It's where you think you have always got an illness. Maybe you should go to the doctor, to see if you actually DO have something wrong. If that's not the case, maybe visit a therapist.
uniquecreature41
Cancer is widely publicised because of the fact it claims so many lives. Awareness of the disease is useful in fighting it but it can also alarm people who might be unwell but haven't found a diagnosis yet. It's also worth noting that an internet search is a poor diagnostic tool and cannot replace a medical doctor when treating a problem as it doesn't have sentient access to the patient and therefore cannot treat the person as a whole.
soothingStrawberry61
In one word Google. Our minds like to take things to the worst case. If you friend doesn't call back you think 'uh oh what did I last say, did i make her mad?" When you get a call from the school nurse you think the worst. Its just the way we are wired. It may help you to remember previous times where you thought the worst but it was something minimal. Training your brain to maybe not go full out every time something comes up. It may also help to try to work in meditation daily so you can see how your river of thoughts work.
Ziggy3339
You wonder why you just always think you have cancer, is that right? Tell me more about this please, ok.
Isakov
I had the same problem for a very long time! Many of the symptoms of cancer can be manifested purely by anxiety. Whether it's a lump in the throat, a bruise not heeling, or even a weird pulsating sensation somewhere in the body. Unfortunately, this is a self-actualizing cycle since the anxiety will cause these symptoms and thus further anxiety! I recommend doing everything you can to relax, and you'll notice your symptoms and thoughts start go away. If not, seeing a medical professional is very important to prevent full-blown hypochondria.
mkehelper
With all the information available today it can be easy and tempting to self-diagnose ourselves, however it is best if you have any health concerns to see a doctor for their opinion. If the doctor rules out any medical issues and you still find yourself thinking something is wrong you may be struggling with anxiety. A trained therapist can help you resolve the symptoms of this anxiety.
Anonymous
We tend to catastrophize illnesses. It seems in today's world, we are always being taught to prepare for the worst. Having terminal illness like cancer is one of the worst outcomes. Check with a doctor, maybe two for a second opinion. They will be able to put you at ease. Health anxiety is common
strawberryLake18
Maybe there is someone in your family that had it before ?? Or it can be just a random thing you do
Millichidulinas
You could be so scared about this, maybe. This could be a good possibility. I hope you'll ever get it.
Alia3475
For me, it was because I was raised by a parent who always jumped to worst case scenario. A head ache was a brain tumor, that sort of thing. But our culture does a LOT of awareness around early cancer detection, so I think we've all been "programmed" to some extent, to always be aware of potential symptoms. For me, the best way to control this anxious voice is to get regular physicals and keep up with my other doctor appointments. I can remind myself that I had blood work done in May, and that everything was fine.
MissesOliver
February 22nd, 2018 8:49am
It could be your biggest fear and you just can't stop letting your brain go to that extreme. It's a scary thing and something that I've been worried about since I was young as well.
Joyfulsmile
I think it is Health Anxiety It means that you is living in fear that you have a serious illness, even though you are well. You may not feel well, you probably have physical symptoms in your body and you are constantly worried that you have a serious disease.
Nuki6
This might be sort of a anxiety and i think you should check your health first and if you still have that feeling then you should really think about anxiousness.
charmingsmiles
April 2nd, 2016 2:39am
You may be a hypochondriac, or someone who always thinks that they have a serious illness. The smallest discomfort or pain makes them worried, even if a doctor tells them they are fine.
GoddessOfBlossoms
At first, you need to find out if you really have a cancer. You can ask a doctor for that to prove if you really have and so that you can be treated early. If you have non and you really always think that you have a cancer consult a psychiatrist. You might have HYPOCHONDRIASIS. It's when a person interprets the slightest physical changes in their body as a sign of serious illness, as what you say, cancer.
Anonymous
may be cause you are studying too much about cancer.. when we study something too much we think that we are suffering from it ! also known as Medical students' disease also known as second year syndrome or intern's syndrome !
skylerraber1234
I tend to always think the worst when it comes to me being ill thats probably because all my life I heard the motto "pray for the best, prepare for the worst". So, in many situations I think people are like me and try to prepare the mind for news like cancer if an illness is present. Also, technically speaking every human being has "cancer" it just haven't multiplied for effected us yet.
EmunahHere
It sounds like you're experiencing some health anxiety. When we notice something different about our bodies, whether it's a sore throat, lump, bump, or even a headache, our minds might automatically assume the worst case scenario, which is often cancer or an incurable disease, when we are experiencing health related anxiety. We operate in a cycle of "what-if" and often seek reassurance from friends, family, the internet, and medical professionals. I'm sending you hugs because experiencing health anxiety can be very scary and frustrating. We often recognize that the worst case scenario is not likely, but our minds still experience the anxiety and go through the "what-if" thinking like it is. If you are in any doubt, you can always check with your licensed medical professional regarding any health concerns as well as any anxiety concerns.
M4hir
This is a sort of anxiety. Sometimes it may not necessarily be because somebody feels afraid of death or the illness itself but because they may not be able to achieve their dreams or goals - however you’d like to put it. However, if you realise there’s nothing positive above. That’s because cancers associated with bad connotations and we don’t realise we can treat it to some extent and some cancers are completely riddable. At an early diagnosis survival is greater. It’s important to consult about these worries if one’s constantly experiencing these thoughts as the more one stress’s out. The more will these thoughts continue to invade precious time and space in the mind.
Anonymous
If you always think you've got cancer it is probably because you think something is unusual with your body that shouldn't be there or you're seeing unwanted activities developing on you that makes you think it's cancer.
Anonymous
Too much WebMD. I'm kidding, of course. I have the same worry/anxiety. I've been to the doctor several times and every test comes up negative. I console myself knowing it's better to be cautious, but it's so difficult to live with the anxiety. I have chronic bladder pain and worry that these symptoms will one day cover up the pain of something horrible like cancer. But think about it: what would you do differently if you actually had cancer? Have you seen the doctor regularly? Have you expressed your fears? Do you feel like you've done what you can? Think about what you're really anxious about. Is it the lack of control? Is it death itself? Is it feeling like you haven't yet lived?
Anonymous
Believing you have cancer or any other serious illness could be due to a few different reasons. 1. Does the person have a family member or family members have suffered and or died from cancer. Not all cancers are hereditary, but some people in the family are more susceptible to developing some type of cancer. 2. Does the person suffer from a form of anxiety. Cancer is a serious illness, and can sometimes be terminal. If a person suffers from some type of anxiety, they may worry or be anxious a lot from fear of developing cancer. 3. Then are some people who suffer from a mental health condition called Hypochondria. They constantly worry they are going to get sick with something or always think they are sick with something.
Recent Answers
love7788
Anxiety and worries get the best of us sometimes. With worry, our mind jumps to our farthest fear before analyzing logic first. So, it’s easy to be overwhelmed with concern for the worst— it’s just a matter of taking a step back, asking yourself about reasons why you believe this, analyzing those reasons, and then comparing those with the fears in our minds.
Anonymous
Believing you have serious illnesses is a type of mental disorder called hypochondria that is best treated by counseling with a psychotherapist trained in this field
Anonymous
if you suspect you have cancer, consult a doctor.
Anonymous
Sometimes we feel as though we have something wrong with us, emotionally or physically. So-- sometimes we may physically think that we have cancer because mentally we are anxious or paranoid about something being wrong with us.
Anonymous
You might think that you have cancer because it might have gone through the family and you are worried that it will happen to you.
Anonymous
You might be scared because of a close friend or family member getting it or because of the fear that we see from the media. Cancer affects a lot of people and you could be more anxious about it because it's somethjng we see a lot.
JJill1
Well, we all overthink sometimes, it's a natural human instinct to analyze everything.. Try to have perspective though, there is a big chance you do not have cancer! Try not to stress about things you do not know about :) If you are really worried, see a doctor maybe! :)
JulietSivan
Anxiety can cause bad thoughts, and different types of anxiety can lead to different types of negative thinking. For example, there’s social anxiety that is about fear of social interaction, fear of being judged and etc. or there’s panic disorder: bad thoughts in panic disorder are usually around health, or the fear of being unable to escape. However, I’d recommend to visit a professional therapist.
Stormbending
January 21st, 2018 5:18pm
It sounds like you have a deep fear of having cancer, which is a perfectly rational fear to have! However, if you are actively avoiding things that have been scientifically proven to give you cancer (EG; smoking), then there is no rationality to your thinking. If you feel you have a physical condition that requires medical attention, please do speak to your GP. Do not feel you are wasting their time - they are there to help and put your mind at rest!
It is not unusual to think that you are very sick whenever you feel physically bad. There is a lot of talk, maybe too much, about cancer in the media so it is pretty obvious that whenever we feel sick our mind goes there. The only way to find out is to see a doctor
Egowanderer26
The Internet, television, and the media are always full of stories concerning health and particularly cancer. Sometimes having something constantly being betrayed into our lives, it can create this feeling. It seems like everything today can cause cancer, so it's not a surprise that this is a question. Having routine cancer screening and check ups can help give reinsurance.
Anonymous
Media is talking a lot about diseases and that makes people worry about their health. When you hear about cancers you think you got one to but you don’t actually have one. Try to avoid these kind of topics and you will releafe.
Anonymous
That might be health anxiety. Its a type of anxiwty where you believe you have an illness. However, you should visit a doctor so that they can tell you what is happening
readingDream88
If you've experienced a loss of someone close to you who had cancer, you might just be paranoid about getting it, as a way of coping with the grief. You might also be a hypochondriac - a person has a lot of anxiety and preoccupation about having one or multiple illnesses.
ThoughtlessDesign
Because death is frightening, and anxiety builds way too easily. Regular doctors visits will catch cancer, so try not to obsess over things that aren't likely to occur.
Anonymous
Maybe you have in some way convinced yourself that you do. I imagine you probably think so because you're likely a negative person afraid of any disease. And somehow, this has affected you fearing that you have a very serious one.
Anonymous
There could be many reasons why you always think you got cancer. A few examples could be that you might be health cautious, afraid of getting ill or sick, ocd, you might have an intuitive feeling and unsure why you feel that way, your experiencing the symptoms, etc. You'll have to ask yourself this question and figure out why that may be. You could get tests done to see if it's true or if you have done tests and you still feel you might have cancer then maybe you feel they we're wrong or something. You would know yourself and your situation better then anyone else would for sure.
HeyItsRoo
It is common for people with anxiety to take something and think of the worst possibility. We've all done it before. If you are seriously concerned, just go see a doctor and they can put your worries to rest.
Tali
It's called "health anxiety", some people have this condition. Maybe you're having these thoughts because you are insecure about your health and are afraid of losing it, or are afraid of dying. It's normal to worry about your health but if it gets in the way of living a fulfilling life without fear, then it's worth discussing with a therapist.
Hatake510
Our brain thinks about the worst possible situations that could happen to us. It's common for a person to think they are suffering from something tragic. One could be very anxious about these things and worry a lot. It's recommended to take a walk or exercise to move on from such thoughts.
KawaiiG
It seems like you are suffering from hypochondria. This is a condition where you think you have a severe disease. I have dealt with this for four years, and it left me with anxiety and PTSD from years of unjust paranoia over something that did not even happen. I really hope that you do not have cancer, but if this is related to hypochondria, please seek help immediately! Also, just to ease your worry, please feel free to visit a doctor soon just to ensure that you are okay!
Anonymous
If this is a reoccurring thing in your life then you should consult a trained professional. There are mental illnesses where you believe that you have a life-threatening illness.
peacefulkat
It could be because someone in your family has cancer or someone really close to you has died from cancer or they have it. You could look at the symptoms and think you have it and worry that you might have it.
Anonymous
Anxiety can often lead to misconception and constant worrying about health. Be sure to contact a reliable doctor and avoid any unreliable sources. Confidence in your health helps, so check up with a doctor when you can!
Pleiades20
Health anxiety is a legitimate category of anxiety. If you worry about this a lot or about other health conditions, you might have a bit of an anxiety problem a therapist could help you work on. If it's happening occasionally, it might just be a reaction to how scary cancer can be and how often it's mentioned in the media, in routine medical testing, etc.
Anonymous
BrightPup
A lot of people have worries about their health. I know I have certainly jumped to the worst conclusion at times myself. Sometimes a worry like "I must have cancer," can just be a sign that you care a lot about your health! If that's where the worry comes from, it can be helpful to think about actionable steps you could take towards supporting a healthy life. For example, taking a walk or swapping a dessert for a fruit every now and then.
JUST2ME
Maybe because people talk to much about it. Please consult a doctor and if he says that you don't have it everything is fine :)
Anonymous
You may experience the symptoms of hypochondriasis, fear of disease. Other mental struggles may be a cause for that.