Why are breakups easier for guys than women?

Cynthia Stocker, LCSW, LICSW

My approach is direct, kind, honest & collaborative. My clients appreciate that I help them in a way that cuts through the jargon and gives clear explanations.

MegAGoddard
I'm not sure they are. I personally think that women and men can often have different ways of expressing themselves. Some men may appear to be coping well with a break up, when internally they are struggling. I think this also applies to women. On the other hand, men could be very open about the difficulties they are having as a result of their breakup. Women tend to express their distress more readily than males do, however i dont think this is set in stone. It all depends on the individual.
bratgurl14
its easier for guys because they have no hearts and they don't think before they do and its hard for us women because we are in love with him but if not i would be easy
Ev3rlastingHope
Because they think they have an advantage in meeting other girls and introduce their feelings with many tactics or tricks many girls fall in.
rohans27
They aren't, it depends only on the type of person and the depth of relationship. Remember, looks and behavior can be deceptive, it is possible that some are jus acting like they're fine and that the breakup is easier for them, even when it's actually not. Mostly, guys prefer hiding their emotions and actually it doesn't matters if it's a guy or a gal, breakups are always more difficult for the one who loves more.
Anonymous
It's actually not that much easier on guys. In fact, polls do show that men take break ups just as hard as women do. The difference is that male-culture prevents men from expressing themselves especially if it's sadness or melancholy. That's not to say that women can hide their feelings too because sadness is completely gender neutral.
Anonymous
Actually, it is just the same for both men and women. It just so happen that men are better in hiding their feelings because of their masculinity. Maybe it's just that it.
Anonymous
I doubt that. Anybody who has truly invested in the relationship will feel the pain, it is possible that men process through hurt in a different manner than women
Anonymous
I truly feel that is a misconception. I have seen male friends of mine suffer through break ups. I have seen my own ex put up a jovial face on the outside and move on (which hurt a lotttt), but then when i met him a year later, he told me he still liked me and had never moved on. They dont show it to the rest of the world. They definitely dont show it to their exes. But if a friend were to talk to them when they are fairly drunk and honest, thats when you'd see how truly hurt they are. Women tend to take the initial few weeks to get all their emotions sorted - cry it out, shout it out.. and then start healing. Men tend to zone out and dont confront their emotions- and hence usually take longer to heal.
starryRiver83
Break ups can be difficult for both guys and women. Some people show it more, some people don't and this is why people believe that one person is struggling more than the other, but it isn't always the case.
purplePeach43
I don't think breakups are easier for guys than women. From the outside, men might do a better job of hiding how they are feeling than women, but I wouldn't necessarily trust this. What makes you think breakups are easier for guys?
Banven
Who said breakups are easier for guys than women? They may appear to be on the face of it, but its just different people’s ways of dealing with it. In public one man may act like he isn’t too bothered, but he may still cry behind closed doors. Another man withdraw himself while others may overreact by partying, drinking or acting out, overcompensating for their grief or sadness. Without looking into people’s minds you will never truly know what goes on, but just because someone may act one way, doesn’t mean it’s a true reflection of how that person is really feeling inside.
hellopomegranate4772
It seems that way, but the reality is that guys just hide it more than women. They want to seem strong, like men should be, as they are portrayed that way.
Tameka
Breakups are no easier for guys than they are than women. They affect people differently. Gender makes no difference in how people will respond.
charmingLove14
Breakups can be hard for anyone, not harder on women or the other way around. It might be easier for guys because males try to 'hide' their emotions. Where as women are more 'emotionally driven' and prefer to show how they feel (by talking about their emotions, etc.).
MonkeyMaster
Breakups are hard. Hard is hard. When it comes to emotions, trying to compare or to quantify is irrelevant. Everybody copes with hard situation differently and it has nothing to do with gender.
fruityIris44
The question assumes a stereotypical view of men's behavior. I am not very sure that breakups are easier for men than women. A lot depends on the emotional makeup of the person and the circumstances. Men do have instinctual drives to mate with many women, but it is not clear that breakups are necessarily easier for men. It may even be harder for an emotional man to handle a breakup. So, in my view, the answer is, it depends on the specific person.
LemonBee
December 22nd, 2015 10:42am
I find that gender doesn't necessarily determine how someone deals with a break up. It may appear that guys have a better coping reaction due to the fact that as a generality, guys are unfortunately socialised to refrain from expressing themselves emotionally. For women it is the opposite. What goes on internally is often much more complex than meets the eye.
kaycspace98
I don't think break up are easy for anyone. I think it takes time to figure out how to get over someone. It have figure out who you are outside of that relationship. I think it's different for everyone and I don't believe that any gender struggles less than another.
Bulelo
I don't think they are; they often seem to be because women seem to be more in touch with their emotions and the like. Most of the time, it is simply because the woman was pursued by the guy and so she felt loved, she felt needed and worthy then suddenly everything is pulled from under her!
Espejo
Are they easier for guys than women? Perhaps this is the common perception, but I've seen males equally distraught as females over failed relationships. It really depends on the person and how invested they were in the relationship.
caringIceCream67
Well in simple terms to say..., in our place it is compared withthe number of hearts. Biologically we knw that both male and females have juss one heart, but psychologically, men are said to have many heart but women to have juss one. But when we actually look into it, we can see that women are more emotional and attacjed. But men dont get so emotional so its easy for them to overcome
PRUNE4BEE
Women are genetically emotional beings. this is natural> but it is not 100% factual that breakups do not affect men. This also depends on the nature of the relationship, how long it went on for, etc. It differs from one person to the oethr.
RonaldMunodawafa1993
I doubt that gender determines the relative ease in breaking up. I think the ease of a breakup depends on the value of investment in the relationship and that includes how "connected" one might feel. However, such questions pop up and there might be data as the premise to such a question but the data will be the way it is most likely because of cultural forces (be it they are in the LGBTQ community or the BDSM community) on what a woman or a man is to expect and be expected of in a relationship. Without going into any detail, it's mostly because of investment value, identity and expectations.
charmingDay85
I don't think they are easier for guys. We think it might be easier for guys (normally) because most men can hide their emotions better than women. Determining if a breakup is easier or not depends on the individual person. I think it depends on the their view of love, and much they value it.
softSunrise6
Because guys are idiots :) just kidding, that's not always true it just seems that way but I do believe women are a lot more emotional and that could be why.
akherousia
It depends on a person but generally women become more emotionally attached to a relationship and are more centered about anything which is relationship-related. Guys usually have stronger "support" from other spheres of life: work, friends, football what-have-you. Does not mean it's the same for every guy and every woman, but generally it's like that.
Craftsman
Because brain and thinking pattern of guys is different than of females. Females get emotionally involved in everything whereas males can't. Also. females think more than males about breakup, so its not easy for them to get over it.
Anonymous
Perhaps because women care more for who they choose to go out with, perhaps it is because the man is the one who chooses who to ask out in most relationships, and it was his choice in the first place, so he may feel it is up to him to end it
BlackSwan99
That's not true, if a break is easy for someone, whether a guy or a girl, then maybe what they thought they had wasn't real, or maybe they lost whatever they had towards their partner and thus, they're not having a hard time letting go.
Anonymous
I don't think it's easier for them, maybe it just depends on the personality or how much they loved the other person.