what is the bust way to recover from name calling?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

Anonymous
Remind yourself why you are more than that label. Think of all the ways you are not that label. Realize that you know yourself better than that name caller ever will.
Anonymous
I recommend looking through this website that deals specially with the topic of bullying. which encompasses name calling. Here's the link:pacerteensagainstbullying.org
smileforawhile
Look in the mirror and call yourself the exact opposite of the names that people called you. Look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that beautiful, funny, a good person, etc. The more you tell yourself these things, the more you'll start to believe it eventually.
Anonymous
When it happened to me, I told my mom. She told my principal. I and my bully got called separately to the office. He didn't call me names after that incident. He was told to apologize to me but he didn't. I didn't care though. He stopped calling me names and that was all I cared about.
Anonymous
personally, i think that letting it all pass is the best one can do. ignoring them and being mature with dealing with the name callers is one i did in the past (though i still get some name calls every now and then) and i return the favor by letting it out in a joke.
Anonymous
Best thing to do is ignore them, they will eventually get bored because you are giving them no reaction. If you must reply then be kind please, you don't want to add fuel to the fire.
ChristinaA
Remember, most bullies have underlying issues that lead them to act poorly to others. Some of those issues may be from a dysfunctional family, a need to be in control, or in some cases mental issues. Be kind to them in return if you can. Otherwise, be the bigger person and don't respond. Most name calling is an action LOOKING for a reaction. Eliminate the reaction, and the action will eventually stop.
Shaymay24
Name calling can really be detrimental to people with low self-esteem and who are self-conscious about themselves. One way to recover is try not reflect on it, and realize your self-worth. The person who is name calling is trying to prove something and it sucks that you have to be the bait. Don't let it consume your thoughts. Be positive and kill them with kindness. Kindness always prevails.
FreiturnierParthenopaeus
The best way to recover from name calling is to realize that the person who's calling you names does not see you for the beautiful person you are. If they are content with labeling you, then they're obviously not worth your time and energy. :) Let it slide off of your back, and after a bit of letting it just slide off, it won't matter anymore! You'll find loving and caring people who'll call you what you want to be called, be it your name or a nickname! :)
therapinto
April 22nd, 2015 9:06am
1. Ignore them 2. Avoid them 3. Don't insult them back under any circumstance 4. Tell an adult about it 5. Chill
Anonymous
The best way to recover from name calling is talking to the person directly. Asking the person why they are name calling can set them back because they may not be expecting you to comment back in anyway other than backing down. When I was younger, I experienced this on a daily basis then one day I got the advice of a teacher to speak to that person and ask them why. I took that advice and used it. The person who was name calling me didn't really have a good answer for it as if they were taken back that I actually spoke up and after that the name calling stopped. If that does not work talking to a trusted adult or friend can always do the trick. Just remember no matter what anyone says, keep your head held high and smile. Things will get better.
Oceanlove
Name calling is horrible and I'm sorry if you're dealing with that. Try to remember that what they're saying isn't true and they're doing it for a reaction. Don't give a reaction to them and try to not let it get to you. I know that's hard but you can't let that ruin your life. Also try speaking to someone about it, maybe someone who would try to stop the name calling, or someone who can reassure you that they're just bullies and what they're saying doesn't reflect on you as a person. They try to pick on people they think it will effect the most, or people who won't stand up for themselves.
littlesnowflake1
To recover from name calling, the best was is to turn it into a self deprecating joke. If someone ever makes fun of you turn it into a laugh so that you will end up happy.
Anonymous
in my opinion the best way is to work harder and prove the people who call you names wrong. They don't have the right to name call you since no one is perfect.
IfICanHelpIPromiseIWill
December 22nd, 2015 8:50am
Have you ever heard the saying "sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me." If you have you realized someone told a fib when coming up with that one. Name calling hurts it hits your ego and kills some of the confidence you have or had. To recover from name calling I would say to look in the mirror everyday tell yourself that you are beautiful and are happy with the way you look. And when people call you names ignore them or look at them and have a bundle of confidence and say, "Well that's your opinion and I didn't need/want for it." Learn to be comfortable with yourself and let the comments or name calling roll off your shoulders. Because no matter what you will always break down when someone calls you a name or be insecure if you are not comfortable with yourself. I'm here if you need to talk or anything.
bestEnergy39
Perhaps, the best way is to realize that people who call others names do so out of insecurity about themselves.
henrymiles97
It's not easy being in that situation to begin with, so you have every right to feel upset. try to focus on what you feel makes you a great individual and talk to people you feel comfortable with about it. You don't have to deal with it all by yourself, there's always someone to listen.
Anonymous
To forget it ever happened, and realize that people can say anything when they're feeling negative, anything to hurt you, break you down or make you feel less than you are. So don't give it so much importance and forget it ever happened ay?