How do I independently motivate myself?

How do I independently motivate myself?

Stacey Kiger, LPC

My belief is that therapy is not about giving advice, but joining you on your journey

Tell yourself that you want to achieve all that you want to achieve and reward yourself whenever you achieve something that you really wanted to achieve.
Kilali
By confession and repetition. Ever heard the line, 'tell yourself a lie enough times and you start to believe it's true'. Well the same logic applies here. Make it a must to constantly remind yourself that 'You can do it' and 'You are worth it' and soon you start to believe it. This causes you to act differently. You start to feel like 'you can do it' and 'you are worth it'.
insightfulPerspective50
Write down your end goals but more importantly WHY you want to achieve this goal. For example if you want to start eating healthy, write down what your ideal end goal would look like. It could be to look your best, feel your best etc. This could apply to anything. Make sure there is a way for you to be reminded of this on a daily basis. For example, write a note in front of your mirror in the morning. But always make sure to take care of yourself as well. Don't get discouraged if you make mistakes. Just pick up and try again :)
Anonymous
Write down your goals and try to achieve them. When you achieve them, be proud or yourself!
competentBlueberry60
Well you could start by setting small attainable goals for yourself, take action to achieve them and consequently reward yourself for achieving it and the next time aim marginally higher and follow the same cycle of rewarding yourself. Once you get into this cycle you'll form a good habit that needs to be kept up routinely.
Anonymous
I motivate myself by watching motivational videos and by browsing images of motivational quotes, also some courses regarding positive psychology can be of great help
Psychiatrist101
By breathing and maintaining a calm state of mind. Enjoying life to the fullest and taking obstacles head on.
fruitySunset76
Look for things that make you happy. Find things that motivate you to get out of bed in the morning, or start that school assignment, or do some exercise of whatever it is. Create a goal and work towards that. Don't make it too unrealistic but make sure that it's something you actually want to work towards. Just find something you love and that you're happy with and use that to motivate yourself to do things.
Anonymous
Affirmations.Because we or our brain works in patterns only and patterns are always formed by repetitions. It may sound funny or boring but every word you day to yourself matters. Every scene you can imagine in your head creates a little chemical change inside you. I am not talking about external words or picture. Make your affirmations what you wanna achieve or motivate urself about. Repeat it, write it, record it, write on ur wallpaper, wall, mirror everywhere you can.!
Kavril
"Nut up or shut up!" Do it, it works. It really does. Just give it a shot, repeat it as often as you need to in order to get that motivation going.
Anonymous
I look at each day as a new start and new opportunities and try things, meet new people If you see rain look rainbows if see darkness like for the stars
NumberEleven
Making goals, keeping track of them by working towards them, and working towards them by setting out a step by step plan.
Morgan321
Find what you love doing, me personally, I like eating, every time I do something like tidy my room or finish a chapter in a revision book I reword myself with a handful of jelly beans or nuts or fruit
MysticalKingdom
I am not an expert on the matter, but I believe setting life goals that make you really excited about the future can help. Throughout my years in college I found it difficult to stay motivated when it felt like there was no end to the amount of stress that came about because of work, school, and the future. However, instead of just not thinking about these things I decided to face them head on and ask myself what I would like to happen. I set goals that would require me to work hard in those areas so that I could reach my dreams. The more extravagant the dream or goal, the better. Dreams of living luxuriously and having the money to travel have kept me in college and helped me reach my last semester. Goal setting can work wonders for motivation. Even if the goal seems small.
Anonymous
Set personal goals around things you enjoy. Be them long-term or short-term, once you start seeing some progress, you'll feel better (you can do some exercise, improve your eating habits, learn a new language, it's up to you!).
Anonymous
1.make your Goals . complete them 2. decide what do you want to look like in next 5 years 3 Effective time management will help you lot 4. learn new thing as possible 5. make your own sources so you dont have to depend on others
MissMonMon
You can stare yourself in the mirror and give yourself a 'Brave Heart' pump up speech or even write encouraging message on post-its that you leave around the house for yourself. There are heaps of motivational videos on Youtube as well as awesome happy songs that make you get up and dance around the house. Make a to-do list for your life and pin it up somewhere where you will see it everyday. Give yourself a reason to get out of bed every morning and work towards your ultimate goal in life. The road may be difficult and filled with challenges, no body said it would be easy, just that it would be worth it!
justheretohelpyou
Set yourself little goals, to eventually reach a bigger goal, keep at it and do these things regularly along with your natural routine, even if it's just getting out of bed, then brushing your teeth, set goals along the way, over time it comes naturally but goals are helpful when trying to focus and get motivated, don't forget to reward yourself when you have achieved a goal!
CoachJohn
You have to set goals! It's as simple as that. If you're not giving yourself any specific target, you're not truly going to challenge yourself and you won't become any more resilient. Achieving goals that you had to work hard for is one of the most rewarding things for an athlete. Make sure the goals you set are: attainable, realistic, time-specific (give yourself a deadline to meet the goal), and direct (be specific with your goal and focus on it).
IWillBeHereForYou
#maintain a notebook with monthly or weekly aims #maintain a regular fixed routine #reach the checkpoints and reward yourself #fix a phrase that reminds you to get back in track if you get distracted. #dont be too hard on yourself if you miss the checkpoint. but be careful next time #quit procastinating
lovingLynx89
Self talk is amazing, talk to yourself and make it a challenge or a fun game, use words that make you feel empowered, YES,YOU CAN!
Snowzee9
I independently motivate myself by saying my prayers first thing in the morning, then taking a fast past walk while enjoying all the wonder things around me.
Anonymous
Find something that you are really passionate about. It's easy to be motivated when you like what your doing. However, especially with school and such, that is not usually the case. My motivation generally comes from my results when I put a lot of effort into something. I like feeling good about myself and doing well on work, so that motivates me to do well. Also, when I do perform poorly, it motivates me to be better next time.
muppetnz
September 2nd, 2016 2:02am
Listening to inspiring music and setting a goal and figuring out to get there step by step, nothing big can happen in a day, remember that.
Anonymous
I self talk my self get up you can do this this project isn't so hard your smart and funny you can do this
VintageFrosting
Push yourself even though its hard in the end you will be satisfied with the results. Make a constant reminder of what youre trying to achieve,
brightCandy74
"Always be yourself and have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and try to duplicate it." - Bruce Lee Motivation works at its best only when you are the one to motivate you. If we keep finding answer to our problem outside, then our answer seeking ritual continues till the end and nothing is going to satisfy you. By chance, if something from outside motivates you, It does not last forever. So the best thing is, " Keep motivating yourself" by feeding good thoughts into your brain and gather all your will power to enable or restart your life in a way desired by you.
allnaturalUnicorns70
There are lots of ways to motivate yourself, and positive motivations are the most successful. That could include reminding yourself of how good you'll feel as you move towards your goal, or rewards and incentives along the way. Good luck in your journey!!
Anonymous
Always stay positive in your mind. Try to surround yourself around things that may motivate you. Find a mentor, this helps.
Anonymous - Expert in Exercise Motivation
September 22nd, 2016 2:24am
If you are trying to do a project and it is immense, try breaking the project into smaller steps and doing those one at a time instead of tackling the project as a whole. If you are having trouble motivating in general, try making little goals for yourself. Silly goals are helpful because the act of getting up and doing stuff helps motivate us in the long-term and we still feel good when we accomplish tehm. Set goals for yourself like "Walk around the building today," or "Look out of the window today," or "Do one chore today." It's hard to be motivated when we see the full list of everything we ever want to do in our heads, or even just the daily list of things we want to do can be overwhelming sometimes: smaller steps will help to motivate.