Can a panic attack last longer than a few hours?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

Anonymous - Expert in Panic Attacks
As a nurse, a panic attack can last from 30 second to 24 hours however this could be longer, anything more than 1 hour panic attack (hyperventilation etc) should be treated via rapid medical attention. attacks that are through mental, such as anxiety and scared, should be seen by a medical professional after a 24 hour period.
convivialKite1026
Yes. I've had panic attacks that have lasted for a full week. Depending on the person and situation, it can last from a few hours to about a week or maybe even more.
Pandette
A panic attack can last for a different amount of time for each individual. According to healguide.org, the signs and symptoms of a panic attack develop abruptly and usually reach their peak within 10 minutes. Most panic attacks end within 20 to 30 minutes, and they rarely last more than an hour. Now, reoccurring panic attacks can happen as well, where one panic attack complete its cycle and another begins. Remember, if you are experiencing a panic attack, try to acknowledge that you are experiencing a panic attack and take a few breaths. I remember yelling STOP to myself and after a few times, it eventually subsided. That was my personal experience, but there are other coping methods out there! Remember, there is usually a reason behind the panic attack, so if you need someone to speak to, we are all here to help!
Anonymous
Yes, You can have the panicked feeling of being chased or hunted all day long, it is a bad experience with in some cases hyperventilation as followup
KittensAndAshley
They can, but it is uncommon. Most of the time the body gets worn out and tired long before it is panicking for more than 2 hours.
Anonymous
If a panic attack happens, and ends quickly, sometimes another one can start right after this one. Most of the time it is a string of them, not just one all together.
Aaron87
Very generally speaking a panic attack would not usually last this long. However if you are experiencing the symptoms of an attack for this long it is perhaps something you would want to consider seeing a professional about. Especially if feeling that way for such an extended period of time is affecting you and your life in other ways. If that is not a good option for you perhaps try other ways to reduce their duration. What works for my wife is distancing herself from the situation/trigger (walk away from the desk/table), practicing deep breathing, distraction (she holds an ice cube in her hand but it could be something like jogging, anything that demands your attention) and positive self thinking (reassure yourself you're going to be OK, you will get through the feelings but most important don't be ashamed of having the attacks)
windfox3
Yes. Panic attacks can build over hours, days and weeks and hit us in waves. It depends a great deal on your body and what is going on in your immediate environment. Sometimes we have panic attacks and anxiety during times when we are at rest. This happens because our body is finally dealing with pent up stress we have been bottling away for too long. It helps to have a relaxation practice once a day. Whatever it is, guided meditation, going for a walk, yoga.... Pick your method of self care and stick to it. This will help reduce the frequency and intensity of anxiety you have to shoulder.
Anonymous
My most recent attack seemed to go on for a couple of days. Off and on as I tried different coping mechanisms to relax. Finally went to the ER b/c I was afraid I was having a heart attack and it scared me. This is only my second full blown attach. The first one was 12 years ago - Fiance dumped me, planning a wedding for a friend - two days after my graduation from college with my Master's Degree- brother in a relationship that required my biting of the tongue...too much all at once. Losing my insurance coverage at the end of the month and needed to make sure my health was okay.
magnanimousFireworks55
Panic attacks can appear in many different shapes and forms, from overwhelming hyperventilating to that sick feeling in the back of your throat, chest and stomach. As well as many in between. Some types probably can't last longer than a few hours, but some certainly can. If you think you're in the midst of a panic attack which has lasted this long, please, PLEASE, talk to someone about it. Even if it's just your dog, getting it out there, talking, articulating your thoughts can help so much! Websites like rainymood and the dawn room I find can also be really helpful, I hope this helped :)
mellowforsure
Interestingly, panic attacks do seem to follow a specific pattern. Panic attacks tend to peak about 10 minutes in, and then go through a slow but steady decline that can last anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours. The resulting fatigue from a panic attack, however, can last the rest of the day depending on the severity of the attack.
katherriine
Yes. That's why it is important to understand how to help yourself in that type of situation. Everyone has different way to calm themselves down from a panic attack.
Anonymous
Yes that is normal love, everyone reacts differently to them! You'll be fine, remember to stay relaxed and calm.
Anonymous
I would advise you to speak to a medical expert. Panic attacks range in length from person to person
versatileJoy60
Depends on the reason what 'caused it. What I've experienced is that it lasts for at least an hour or at times less than that.
SadyaKarni22
Yes, if you're continuously in the same place...while experiencing attacks or if you have not talked to anyone that while....other reasons also do exist.