InvaderStitch Elephant 2014
on July 20th, 2017

Calm Harm: iPhone and Android App

Recovery Month Forum Hunt: Counting On Eachother

Calm Harm is an app that helps you to manage your urges to self-harm.  

The first screen you see when you open the app (after you enter your password) is to Ride the Wave.  It encourages you to use the 5 minute or 15 minute rule.  

When you select ride the wave it takes you to another screen in which it prompts you to pick an activity type.  The options are comfort, distract, express yourself, release, random, and breathe.

When you select one of these options it’ll take you to another screen that prompts you to choose whether you want a 5 minute activity or a 15 minute activity.  Once you choose the length of your activity it’ll give you a list of different things you can try.  

Then you select which one you want to try and it’ll time you while you perform the selected activity.  

If you go to the menu, you can see your log, get help, my preferences, contact us, suggest an activity, and ride the wave.  The get help option lists different emotions, and then provides ideas on how to manage the emotions.  

I haven’t spent much time exploring the app myself yet, but it seems promising. Give it a try and tell me what you think!

SouthernFlame
on August 1st, 2017

@InvaderStitch

just got the app!

SouthernFlame
on July 20th, 2017

@InvaderStitch

Oh this looks reeally neat ! thank you for sharing it!

Talk to an expert therapist
Dr StaceyO is motivated, passionate, kind and mature. I get the very real impression that she cares, but says what needs to be said, and provides positive balanced feedback.
Reviewed Nov 14, 2018
rebecca947 Penguin 2015
on July 21st, 2017

@InvaderStitch Oh yeah I forgot about this app! It's super helpful, has a lot of techniques and distraction tools. I also love the images of the creatures. Go to settings or somewhere and you can customise creatures and colours (from memory??) It's really helpful :) thanks for sharing! xx

RaCat Penguin 2016
on July 31st, 2017

@InvaderStitch I recently found out about this app and I feel like it can be very useful for the people who are struggling with self harm heart Glad to hear that people are creating apps like that and that they are making the design to look so simply and it protects from bad eyes

blissedNblessed Eagle 2016
on August 29th, 2017

THANK YOU!

Just got app! <3

blissedNblessed Eagle 2016
on August 29th, 2017

@blissedNblessed

hahahah - I am replying to myself - lol.

Just wanted to add:

THIS IS THE BEST APP I HAVE EVER HAD!

It not only helps me with not SH ...

but it helps me process emotions and not react on them, but to think and then respond.

And it helps me get through some really tough emotions!

Tir Starfish 2017
on September 2nd, 2017

Thank you for sharing this app! I just got it, and I am looking forward to using it. I recently relapsed, so I am hoping it would help me. 

roseMelody95 Penguin 2017
on September 13th, 2017

Thanks for sharing the suggestion. I'm downloading it now to try it out!

Autismaunt14 Kangaroo 2017
on October 23rd, 2017

this is an awesome app thanks for sharing, ive used it for a long while and its been very helpful.

Erato
on December 26th, 2017

My friend who struggles with self harm showed me this app today and I think it's very useful!

Dachs Penguin 2018
on February 6th

I installed the app by the end of last year I think. Not all activities worked the samne for me, but the distraction activities and the breathing timer helped me most of the time when I was about to self harm due to stress. 

Ialser Elephant 2018
on May 11th

What does it have to do with iPhone and Android?

rebecca947 Penguin 2015
on July 5th

@Ialser

You can download the same app on both Android and iPhone phones :) 

RabbitTangerine Camel 2014
on May 16th

I like this app.  I've used it a few times.  I like that it logs out right away because it feels secure, even if it makes it harder to use your phone while you have the timer on (although, that also forces me to do the activitiy I agreed to try).  

I also like that it reminds me of specific distractions I can try because sometimes when I'm really emotional it's hard to remember them off the top of my head.

One of the limiting factors is that all the app does is distraction techniques, but what it does it does well.

LotusFlower2018 Kangaroo 2018
on June 22nd

Wow what a great idea!

AnyaS Fish 2015
on August 29th

Calm Harm is a super helpful app! Thank you for making this post, this is awesome and I hope others in the community will find this app and find it just as helpful! heart

@InvaderStitch

vondes Kangaroo 2017
on September 4th

Hello, can u say something about a https://mobile-spy-apps.com mobile recorder on Android. How can we use this application in our phones?

*Support Forum Disclaimer