Anxiety w/ food and the physical symptoms of A lump in the throat.
Ive dealt with anxiety with food before. I can hardly eat unless I feel safe. And sometimes the food itself makes me feel unsafe. When I was little, my dad used to tell me stories about him nearly (and TW).... Choking on food because he 'ate too fast'. As A teen and young adult I began to have severe anxiety w/ food. I do have texture issues but my father brought on this fear of swallowing food wrong and now. As an adult. My greatest fear is that I will swallow wrong and the food will get lodged and i'll choke. I hate having that Fear. I just swallowed my breakfast hard not but a few moments ago and had to do a breathing exercise to calm my anxious mind down before it turned into a full blown anxiety/panic attack. They can range from mild to severe and often, nobody seems to care how they physically affect me. It causes an intense spiral. So I often don't say anything when I'm in them because all it does is get me the response of 'I can't do anything." Or 'its not a big deal." I have been invalidated. And it hurts. Because it very much is real. It very much causes difficulty in feeling like I can't breathe or that there is a lump in my throat. I don't need anyone to fix the problem I just need reassuring. But unfortunately the ppl around me can't even do that. And that makes it worse. I feel so unsupported sometimes. And no, I don't want medication. Thats not the solution. Getting away from the source of my anxiety is. And its not the food that I need to get away from.
I will not elaborate further so please don't ask.
Anyway. I wish I didn't deal with this. It makes eating not so fun. Its a chore and I hate it.
@FaithfulGeekyGal20
I hear you, and I want you to know that I'm here to offer support. Dealing with anxiety around food can be incredibly challenging, and it's understandable that your experiences and fears have had a significant impact on your relationship with eating.
It's disheartening when our concerns and experiences are invalidated by others, especially when we're seeking reassurance and understanding. Your feelings and struggles are real, and it's important to acknowledge and validate them.
Finding ways to manage anxiety around food is a personal journey, and it's great that you have identified that getting away from the source of your anxiety is key for you. While I won't ask for further elaboration, I encourage you to explore coping strategies and techniques that work for you, whether it's through self-help resources, therapy, or other means of support.
Remember that you don't have to face this alone. If you have any trusted individuals in your life who are understanding and supportive, consider confiding in them about your struggles. Sometimes having someone who can listen and provide reassurance can make a significant difference.
Take it one step at a time, and be gentle with yourself throughout this process. Healing and finding a healthier relationship with food takes time and effort, but it is possible. If you ever need someone to listen or offer support, feel free to reach out.
@FaithfulGeekyGal20 I also have a lot of anxiety around eating but related to my stomach rather than my throat. It feels lonely when people around you dont know how to react and you feel crazy. its embarrassing. I hope youre feeling better❤️
Hello,
I am so sorry you are going through this!
I have severe anxiety, panic attacks, and mild depression. I often feel misunderstood as well, and don’t like to share my feelings because I know others will say “just don’t pay attention to it” “you are okay nothing is wrong with you”. I had a full blown panic attack on Friday, out of no where. I felt off and weird all day. When I tried to lay down I felt restless, and there was moment where I wanted to run away and go somewhere else. Somewhere safe. I didn’t feel okay in my body. I went to the emergency room and was there for 8 hours. I felt so stupid because I knew what they were going to say. panic attack. But that doesn’t minimize the physical impact it has on my body and let alone the mental toll it takes on me. I hear you, I feel you, I struggle with you. We can do this! It won’t be easy, but we can. Stay strong
@understandingWriter6227 I totally get you. I had my first panic attack 8 years ago. When its bad I get them daily but typically I get them at least once a week. I'm currently on meds but not sure they they even help. It's such an exhausting experience isn't it? I see my friends and coworkers going through their day not having to worry about inevitable panic. Feels lonely.
We will persevere as we always do
Hi!
it can feel very lonely, but a lot of people are going through the same thing. Every single day. You are not alone :)
- Thank you so much for the kindness and the support. I hear every one of you. Its such a hard thing. I had another severe anxiety day on Sunday. It was awful. Being unable to eat and feeling completely unsafe. Its hard enough as it is with everything else I'm dealing with. Feeling anxious and angry and completely ignored and feeling like everyone I'm around just hates me. I feel hated in my real every day life. I feel invalidated in so many more ways. And its just... So much. Im honestly really struggling. And I feel I have nowhere to go. But you're all valid to me too. I hope I can get through this rough patch because.... Tbh. Im just struggling so much. Emotionally especially.