Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Future Apartment living only option after parents are "gone"

User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman January 25th

So last night, I accidently got one of my answers to a question from my script for next month's talk.  There's a lot of stuff to cover here.  But let's get  some of this out  -  group homes seem to be out due to wait lists,  and because of cost of property taxes, water, and Electricity,  staying in the house isn't an option trust or not.   So it seem like an apartment is my only option if Mom and i don't move out if  my Dad predeceases Mom  after my parents are "gone"  


This is  problem in my opinion because unlike the parents and my sister both of them have pre-existing experience in living in dorms and apartments  at the moment I only have the former due to Disabled Summer Camp  last summer.   If I'm last one here- having to move out of the only home I know a 3 bedroom house to  a one bedroom apartment is a huge and scary thought.  That doesn't  include my parents don't understand most apartments here require  additional money for hydro and water.   Since  unlike Luna's apartment   Hydro, internet and sometimes water  is "extra" money and isn't included in most apartments.    I have checked apartments for years because of thoughts of wanting to move out.


My parents want me to be able to get a "decent" apartment when they're gone.  But that causes me another problem -swimming in the summer  due to an ear tube in one of my ears means I can't go in the deep end of in-ground swimming pool.  So that means I'm stuck at the shallow end of a pool and  that means I can't do big circles like I could in the summer  in the family's backyard above-ground swimming pool like going 100 times over and over in the pool.   trying to do an oval in a smaller space (shallow end) isn't the same thing as  big swimming pool that's above-ground.   

With what I know about apartments, and that's not much,  but if an an apartment had a swimming pool,  it would likely be an in-ground one.   It's not like I, as newcomer could ask for them to make an above ground pool just for myself right?


The main problem is having to uproot myself from a 3bedroom house to a 1bd apartment if Mom and I don't move out if Dad dies before  Mom when i never moved in my life.   I lived here for almost 36 years (will be 36 in June).  The dorm experience from Disabled summer camp barley counts when the dorm is barley an apartment no stove and only a mini fridge.   Also it's a 2 person dorm room.  



2
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 January 25th

@Disneywoman

I can see how worried you are.

Thinking about the future can be so daunting.

And overwhelming.

It's important to try and focus on now and what's going on now 💚

i-love-you-love-you.gif

1 reply
User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman OP January 25th

@Amanda84   New problem just arose  when I  tried to have my parents understand that in today's  age, that  for tenants to rent apartments we need 1) a credit score and 2)a proof of paid employment.    

But they're like broken records  they kept saying "they're saving money for me to live on sort of like a pension".   when i kept trying to tell them,  that without those items,  the only place I will likely be moving into  would be one of these: Carly's,  or Little Luna's parents' ,   or Joana's, or Stephen's parents'  basement.    


I could be as rich as Muffy from Arthur cartoon  and I know she's a fictional person but the point still stands.  But without credit score or non-volunteer employment,  an apartment even a basement one is out of the question.   I would have to move into someone I know   basement just to be able to "live".  And the majority of the seniors at church have all moved into apartments now.   

So that doesn't leave me with a lot of options  for now or in the future. 

load more