Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Boundaries ?

How do you know if your overstepping boundaries?

9
User Profile: River
River 3 days ago

@independentPear6511

Thats a very interesting question. I believe boundaries is very personal and usually depends on the people. Maybe the way they react to certain situations (Facial cues, discomfort, etc) could be one way. Another is having a very honest conversation about it with the person. 

What are your thoughts on it? Would love to know. 

User Profile: independentPear6511
independentPear6511 OP 2 days ago

@River, what you say makes sense… I’m just not good at talking about stuff like that.. seems awkward to me… but I can’t tell if I’m doing enough, or not enough. How would I go about talking about it?

User Profile: River
River 2 days ago

@independentPear6511

Maybe something like "So I was thinking of xyz and was planning to do this with you, how do you feel about it?'' would be my go-to. 

Whats your usual approach to this? 

load more
load more
User Profile: ScrabbleBrain
ScrabbleBrain 2 days ago

A good way is just to ask, are you ok to answer this question, you don't have too or is there anything that is bothering you about our relationship/friendship?

For me I notice if someone avoids answering a question, did they not hear me or are they not at ease?

Think about your own boundaries and what you prefer from others..

User Profile: independentPear6511
independentPear6511 OP 2 days ago

That seems like a good start.., I’m just weirded out by talking or showing any emotion… if that makes sense.

load more
User Profile: Amasora
Amasora 1 day ago

I believe that clearest sign that a boundary has been crossed is a sudden shift from natural warmth to cautious politeness. People rarely announce their discomfort out loud, choosing instead to protect their personal space by keeping answers brief, taking longer to reply, and quietly pulling back from the conversation. Talking to them straight is not that bad of an idea, but since the person has already retreated, that might backfire.

User Profile: independentPear6511
independentPear6511 OP 1 day ago

I’m sorry @Amasora, I misspelled your name and I’m not sure how to edit it. I just wanted to say, that it seems like it’s probably best to leave things as is.

load more
User Profile: independentPear6511
independentPear6511 OP 1 day ago

@Asmore

So best, to just leave things be then.

User Profile: DancingDaoist
DancingDaoist 23 hours ago

Ask, you can get drawn into reading tea leaves guessing. Ask how the other is.