Need Suggestion
Hi everyone. Could people with job experience help me how to communicate my boundaries at workplace properly? I got fired from my previous job in 15 days & it took me countless rejections to get a new job. Idk how to respond to mild disrespects without confronting your senior or tell them if I am not comfortable with something.
@FrankPoppy8831
Hi! First, I'm sorry you had such a difficult experience with your previous job. I can understand why you'd feel nervous about setting boundaries when you've worked so hard to get a new position. ❤️
One thing that might help is using "I" statements to communicate how you feel or what you need without making the other person feel like you're directly accusing them of doing something wrong. It can help you express yourself calmly and professionally, even when speaking to someone senior to you.
For example, instead of saying, "You're being disrespectful when you talk to me like that," you could say, "I find it easier to understand feedback when it's communicated calmly. Could you explain what you'd like me to do differently?"
If someone keeps interrupting you, you could say, "I'd like to finish explaining my thought, and then I'd be happy to hear your perspective."
If you're uncomfortable with a request, you could say, "I'm not comfortable with that, but I'd be happy to discuss another way we could approach it."
The goal is to focus on your feelings, needs, or the situation rather than making assumptions about the other person's intentions. You can be respectful without being a pushover, and you can set boundaries without being confrontational!
I'd also suggest paying attention to the workplace culture and choosing your approach based on the situation. Sometimes a gentle, private conversation is more effective than addressing something in front of other coworkers.
Most importantly, having boundaries doesn't make you difficult to work with. It's a skill that takes practice, and you don't have to get it perfect every time. You deserve to feel respected at work, too. I hope your new job goes well!