Missed a meeting because I had a panic attack while drving. Should I be honest?
Hello all.
This morning I had an information meeting for a graduate program I'm applying to. Driving in unfamilar places is the biggest, most consistent trigger to my panic attacks. I got lost on the way to the meeting, and I had a panic attack while driving. I had to pull over because I was hyperventilating, and I had no idea where I was. Eventually found the building where the meeting was being held, but by then the meeting was almost over, and I was still tearful and struggling to breathe. Once I regained my composure, I decided to just turn around and go home.
At this point, I'm not sure what the appropriate thing to do is. Should I tell the director who was leading the meeting the truth? After all, I don't think this is something I should have to be ashamed of. Should I keep it vague and say I had a medical emergency? Should I say anything at all?
I recommend keeping it having a medical issue or something like that. It's more professional to keep the details out of it.
I've had to get doctors notes multiple times for things relating to graduate school, and the doctors always recommend just keeping it to the effect on what's happening, and not the details of the medical issues..
I agree. You could say a medical issue came up and apologize for missing the meeting and ask if you can come in during the week to learn the info you missed. You can also say you got lost on your way to or were having car trouble. When it comes to colleges and the staff/faculty they understand life happens. If you are a reliable and hardworking person, they will understand that life happens and missed meetings happen. I guarantee you weren't the only person that missed the meeting or the only person to have ever missed a meeting in the dept. You don't have to go into detail but definitely reach out, let them know it wasn't your intention to miss the meeting and what you can do to make up for it. Chances are they aren't going to even ask you to go into detail. Once you get to build a family within that environment and you feel safe to give more detail then you can. But you also don't have to. Good luck.
Thanks again for the support, everyone. I did email the director the next dayand apologized for missing the meeting. I said I had a medical emergency that morning, but I was doing fine now, and left it at that. He was very understanding and was glad to hear I was okay. There is another session for prospective grad students tomorrow night, and now that I know where I'm going, I don't foresee any problems.