Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is your phobia? Share your story here.

User Profile: Laura
Laura December 10th, 2014

There are many common & uncommon phobias, what are yours?

1067
User Profile: blueblackunicorn
blueblackunicorn November 6th, 2017

I'm afraid of what the ocean hides. I still love the sea though

User Profile: TransAm85
TransAm85 November 6th, 2017

Heights. I am terrified of heights. I went to Mexico for Christmas of 2015 .. I blacked out several times b/c their roads are like mountains - I'm used to driving on a straight street/express way! And Mexico City's elevation is something I was not used to so I also panicked. I have to get over my fear somehow b/c how will I be able to travel?? lol

User Profile: NavyDuckling
NavyDuckling November 6th, 2017

I'm afraid of mirrors.And bees.

But, thing I am most terrified by is something you can't stop.

User Profile: CarlaYasmine
CarlaYasmine November 6th, 2017

I am afraid of swamps or of being trapped in a secoia forest that slowly fills up with water, I'm also really scared of being chased

User Profile: Tale13
Tale13 November 6th, 2017

Im afraid of vomiting (emetophobia or SPOV) it stops me from eating many foods and foods under certain circumstances. Ive had this ever since i can remember but recently i was retraumatized by an infection which caused me to vomit several times. It makes it difficult to go out with friends and its stressful to feel like im imposing on the hosts when im invited to someones house since i have very strict rules about what i eat. This also makes me avoid a lot of places and situations and makes me afraid of germs and illness. On the outside it looks like an eating disorder and i get a lot of sideways glances from people. I didnt have an eating disorder but recently a lot of factors and stressors have made it hard for me to gain back the weight id lost due to my phobia. The constant consciousness about calories and food preparation/rituals have turned into the start of an eating disorder. I hear that its not unheard of that SPOV turns into an eating disorder.

So yeah there's my phobia

User Profile: diplomaticPapaya4424
diplomaticPapaya4424 November 7th, 2017

Hey @Tale13

Im exactly the same, I avoid going out to places or certain meals because Im afraid Ill get food poisoning which will lead to vomiting

Ive had a job in pharmacy and had to resign because I couldnt cope.

Im trying to figure out how to overcome this, It stops me from doing so many things....

User Profile: Tale13
Tale13 November 7th, 2017

@diplomaticPapaya4424

Hey, I totally get it. I worked at a day camp and germs were EVERYWHERE. I sort of used it as exposure therapy by accepting small amounts of new foods when I felt up ti the challenge. I also carry antiemetics everywhere I go so that gives me an extra layer of safety even though I havent used them since new year's. I usually challenge myself to try new things (small quantities at first just so i can get used to the taste). In restaurants I just order a salad with dressing on the side or broth based soups (they're boiled and soup prevents you from overeating). I've been working at eating more normally around friends that know about this phobia because while it's a big challenge, I have their support. I find that I'm not so afraid of the sensation of vomiting as I am that it won't be a one time thing. Every time I vomited it was a bad illness and lasted a very long time. So i tell myself that if I eat things (especially processed snacks) and they make me sick, it would probably only be a short ordeal.

I hope some of this helps, it's a shame you had to resign from your job :/

load more
load more
User Profile: Saffron9
Saffron9 November 6th, 2017

Going anywhere

User Profile: Shadows95
Shadows95 November 6th, 2017

I am afraid of losing my family, my husband and our two little sons are what i need most in my life..

User Profile: cityofangels98
cityofangels98 November 6th, 2017

I'm afraid of horror movies, but I pretend that I'm not.

User Profile: BluMunster
BluMunster November 6th, 2017

I

User Profile: toughAcai3239
toughAcai3239 November 6th, 2017

I am afraid of seaweed and what's lurking through it.