Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is your phobia? Share your story here.

User Profile: Laura
Laura December 10th, 2014

There are many common & uncommon phobias, what are yours?

1067
User Profile: funnyThinker809
funnyThinker809 January 21st, 2020

I have a very strong fear of the dark (incredibly strong) and fear of insects in general. Can't fight either of them. I've been living alone for so many years, yet I still can't sleep when it's completely dark. I leave the bed light on.

User Profile: EmptyBunny18
EmptyBunny18 January 22nd, 2020

Insects and the dark. I'm almost completely incapable of walking into a dark room. Anytime I go near one I take several steps back, and it makes me feel paranoid and vulnerable. Whenever I walk into a dark room, even if it's familiar such as my bedroom, I have to get a flashlight or cut the light on in another room to illuminate the entrance.

As for insects, this is the one that especially interferes with my daily life. During the summer, I'm terrified of stepping outside my home because I'm afraid of what will be outside. Bees, flies, large swarms of gnats, wasps, shriveled worms and even butterflies freak me out. One time a bee came near me several years ago, and I sprinted until I fell and slid down the sidewalk. I wasn't injured, just a bit of skin that came off, but there have been many times where I've nearly hurt myself trying to get away from insects, be it physically or mentally. Another time I thought there was a fly trying to get into my ear (there was no fly) but I became so convinced that there was one that I ended up crying, screaming and locking myself in the bathroom whilst scratching wildly at my ears, and this was probably if not without a doubt the most concerning incident I've experienced related to my phobia of insects, and ultimately what led me to start considering it a true phobia.

User Profile: ElliotAnxiety27
ElliotAnxiety27 January 22nd, 2020

My fears are all things I can't control. I don't know the name, but I feel like it will someday swallow me whole.

It's mostly anxiety based, like what people think of me, but also anything constricting, like deadlines. This fear makes it hard to be myself in front of others. Most times I'm just putting on a facade to fit in because I'm so scared of being singled out.

One huge moment was when I was in class and I accidently said something I shouldn't have (it wasn't offensive, just very personal), and afterwards the teacher checked in with me. It was so horrible and I felt like I wanted to run away and hide. Just being around others makes me very uncomfortable and makes me think about everything I do and say. I don't know how to control it and I'm afraid of it so much!

User Profile: selfconfidentTangerine1778
selfconfidentTangerine1778 January 28th, 2020

Needles, spider, blood, snakes, heights, snow

User Profile: selfconfidentTangerine1778
selfconfidentTangerine1778 January 28th, 2020

Coffins

User Profile: AnnieTaco
AnnieTaco February 4th, 2020

Thanatophobia. What makes me so afraid of death is thinking that one of the possibilities is that there is really nothing and we cease to exist. I take comfort in trying to believe there is actually an afterlife and an spiritual plane, but sometimes I lose faith. And whats worse about it is that we will all experience death :/ no way of escaping.

User Profile: GingerMC
GingerMC February 12th, 2020

I have emetophobia. It used to be worse when I was a kid and in my early teens, but now it has gotten much more manageable.

I also have obsessive fears about falling out of love (or not being in love with someone special). ROCD type fears. And I also have fears of anxiety blocking any happy feelings I should have during a special moment which would result in ruining said experience. Yes weird fears I know! 😜

User Profile: SaintDarkSide
SaintDarkSide June 11th, 2020

@GingerMC

Megalohydrothalassophobia

Fear of large objects beneath the water.

User Profile: SaintDarkSide
SaintDarkSide June 11th, 2020

@GingerMC

I am also sorry for the large heading. I am new here and have to get used to the text sizing.

User Profile: GingerMC
GingerMC June 11th, 2020

@SaintDarkSide That's fine! 😜 By the way I also have similar fears of the ocean, except my fears mostly involve live fish touching me.

load more
load more
User Profile: persistentartprenuer
persistentartprenuer February 12th, 2020

I have emetophobia. It's comforting in a strange way seeing other people have it here. I always felt I was weird being the only one with it.

User Profile: imaTiredBoi
imaTiredBoi May 13th, 2020

Ive got what i think is called agoraphobia where i get really anxious in large areas especially in public which starts up my social anxiety and then its just downhill from there

User Profile: enchantingFish2028
enchantingFish2028 May 30th, 2020

Im afraid of trees