Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can't tell Mom real reason why i want to do programs out of town

User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman December 8th, 2025

I been missing New Leaf (day program) for the Past 5 years since Covid happened.  I did do one of their online ones but it's just not the same.  I also don't have a web camera without using Mom's old laptop.  (Also not the same as in-person).    I emailed the one remaining leader of New Leaf and she said "We don't have a physical space" anymore.  But last I heard it was being made accessible for us.  I can found out from Grace the next time she calls  if she knows if the New Leaf room been made into another apartment or not. 

There's programs in town.  But there's two problems  problem A  is that The sister program to New Leaf,  New Winds been waaay to crowded for my taste both in Place A they used to have and Place B they currently in-its even more crowded then Place A.     Problem B is that I'm concerned about any program in town if I enter or exit a building that's is related more/less to disabled people and someone who knows me (I'm like Harriet Potter in town)  and looks down on me for being disabled.  Something I wouldn't have a problem out of town.      


I can't tell Mom that's Problem B is my real problem.   Mom thinks I care more about travelling out of town then actually doing a program.   With no program outside of town the only reason to Travel out  of town is to go occasionally to the mall.     And since I have no gallbladder now it means I have to be  careful about eating fried food 

3
User Profile: breanac19
breanac19 December 8th, 2025

@Disneywoman It sounds like you really miss New Leaf and the in-person connection it gave you, and it makes sense that online programs don’t feel the same. It’s frustrating when the space you relied on isn’t available anymore, and trying other programs feels overwhelming or uncomfortable.

It also makes sense to feel worried about how people in town might judge you. It’s completely valid to want a safe, welcoming space where you can participate without feeling self-conscious. That doesn’t mean you don’t want to be involved or try new things; it just means you’re looking out for your own well-being.

Even if Mom doesn’t fully understand Problem B, it’s okay to honor your feelings and take small steps that feel safe for you. Maybe reaching out to programs outside of town occasionally, or even online ones that allow you to participate without pressure, could be a good compromise until something closer feels right.

2 replies
User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman OP December 8th, 2025

@breanac19 The point of wanting to do programs is to do it outside of the House.   I want to get away from Dad a couple of days a week for at least 10-1:45pm when I would come home.    New Leaf's not the only thing I missing because my other social active which was bowling also got cancelled back in 2022 due to lack of Interest.       

So I went from having 3 places to socialize  (New Leaf,  bowling and church)  to just stuck with one place:  Church  (Volunteer job) on Wednesdays and that's it.   Unless I want to get up really early (for me) on Sundays and go to church every week.  






User Profile: Disneywoman
Disneywoman OP December 8th, 2025

@breanac19  Adding Online ones don't work for me because I don't have a web camera without using Mom's old laptop.    So hence why I want to do an outside the house one  and espcially an outside the town program

load more