Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Does anyone else suddenly forget how to interact socially when your anxiety goes up?

User Profile: redAvocado4522
redAvocado4522 May 18th, 2016

In periods when I am super stressed I usually also become very anxious, and this often bleeds over into my social life where I suddenly forget how to talk to people normally or how to act normally in certain social circumstances. It's not something I have any issue with when I'm happy and not anxious, but it's like I suddenly get selective amnesia and I can't figure out why I'm socially not supposed to do such and such. Does anyone get what I mean?

7
User Profile: Probius
Probius May 18th, 2016

@redAvocado4522 Yes, I have had that happen to me. When I am in a social setting and I suddenly find it difficult or nearly impossible to interact with others I step outside and take a few deep breaths slowly. I take all the time I need, which usually amounts to about 5-10 minutes, but you can feel free to take whatever amount of time you need, and then I feel okay going back into the social setting. I know this is hard, and I hope this helps.

1 reply
User Profile: redAvocado4522
redAvocado4522 OP May 18th, 2016

@Probius That's good that this works for you. Unfortunately, I think I would end up just leaving instead of stepping out for 5 to 10 minutes, which...would be bad :(

load more
User Profile: TheLPSoldier
TheLPSoldier May 18th, 2016

@redAvocado4522 that happens to me sometimes. All I want to is hide, and I can't speak properly, and I stutter more than usual.

1 reply
User Profile: redAvocado4522
redAvocado4522 OP May 18th, 2016

@TheLPSoldier Oddly I don't have much trouble speaking but I get very avoidant of eye contact and space out and generally seem like I don't want to be there, which I don't but wish I did.

load more
May 18th, 2016

I know how you feel! It's horrible - I'm unable to hold a conversation with anyone, and because I'm so afraid of it happening I'll avoid talking to people (which is exactly what you're not meant to do as it just fuels the anxiety further). I will stammer, or my brain will go blank, or someone will be talking to me and I just have no idea what to say at all if it's my turn to talk. It's very frustrating. :(

1 reply
User Profile: redAvocado4522
redAvocado4522 OP May 18th, 2016

@alexa2 Yeah... it's not that I have a problem wanting to have conversation or wanting to talk with people, I really do want to! I just can't continue the conversation once it starts... and oddly this is only a problem in the periods I am extremely anxious, when I'm not anxious I am suddenly completely fine with socializing and knowing social cues again -_-

load more
User Profile: CallMe2
CallMe2 May 19th, 2016

I have the exact same problem. I recently found a great help in Bach's Rescue Pastels. These help me regain composure in all situations, including the one noted here. They can be taken along with most other medication, but check anyway. They are cheap, over the counter pastels almost like cough drops, but they help with anxiety instead. this is not an advertisement, just me trying to be helpful