Stressed and worried about school and family
Having just finished finals, I know for sure I failed one of them which may completely kill my grade for the class and end up putting me on academic probation or even disqualification. I am worried about how I will tell my parents since they are very strict and focus a lot on my education, but I am miserable since I feel like this major isn't for me and I was already thinking of changing it after this semester. I have no interest in most of my classes and it's making it so hard to focus in them. In the beginning I was able to keep up and work hard but after a while I was lost and too scared to reach out for help. I just feel so bad since I feel like I've failed my parents and did not live up to their expectations but I'm more worried about how they will react. I've told them I was doing well but with online learning and being home since the pandemic, they are constantly looming over me and feeling burdened both by my failure to do well as a student and as a child. College was the only real goal they set for me and here I am almost being kicked out in my first year. I would appreciate any tips on how to break the news to them as well as any advice for moving forward.
@hardworkingEast5777
As a parent, I would want my son to be up front and honest with me. There's "yeah, I failed some classes. Whatever." And then there's "I really struggled this year and may have failed a class. I'm feeling lost with where I'm at with college. I don't know if I'm headed in the right direction." It's hard because we, as parents, want "the best" for our kids. And "the best" is what we think is best, not necessarily what is best for you. And that's a hard thing to realize as a parent.