Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trying to figure out my anxiety

User Profile: afox1986
afox1986 January 8th, 2020

Hi everyone,

Newbie to the group. 33 year old male, married to my wife for almost 10 years, 2 daughters (5 & 1.5). Trying to reach out to others to see if you have similiar anxiety woes as I do and maybe some helpful tips along the way. It's been passed down from my mother and grandmother, but have never had as bad as I have had until here lately. Very much mild cases in the past. Never as often as it is now also. I've been trying to think what caused this from happening a few months ago. The only thing I can think of is my oldest daughter choking on a piece of chicken (thank goodness the waitor knew the heimlech) along with some petty folks in my neightborhood stealing some items we had in the front yard. It seems that ever since this has happend, my anxiety has been nonstop. I tend to be fine for the most part in the daytime, but it's at night when I'm travelling for work or driving downtown (houston) that I start feeling these effects. Most of the symptoms are stuffy/clogged nose, fairly hair to breath through nose, along with the tingly sensation in arms or head that definitely gives away i'm about the have a panic/anxiety attack. Sometimes even I feel my throat getting dry. But the main question I have is why?

I'm not dwelling on the past. I don't seem or feel depressed in anyway. My job isn't all that stressful even though it has it moments i'm sure like most. I'm really just trying to figure out why it is when I leave from home, wherever I may be going (majority night time) that I get these sensations and what triggers them. I have consulted with my primary physician and have been given .5 mg of xanex. I've also been taking CBD gummies. The xanex does help in the daytime and the gummies are hit or miss. Majority of the time they just make me sleepy. The odd thing is when I'm local, or with my wife and children, or generally anyone, I'm fine. It's when I'm byself or away at night for a brief period when I start feeling what I've been describing. Should I go back to my primary physician and ask for a higher dosage of medication? Should I visit a psycologist or therapist?

If anyone has had anything similiar I'd love to hear your story and how you've coped or pushed through. I honestly just wished I knew what is causing mine and what's triggering it.

2
User Profile: thoughtfulmomma
thoughtfulmomma January 8th, 2020

@afox1986

Hello and welcome! After reading your story I wondered - do you feel like maybe when you leave home you can't protect your family as well, so you start to get anxiety? When you're at home, you can take care of things if your neighbors are being jerks and stealing thngs. When you're at home, if your daughter has a problem, you'll be there to help. If there's an emergency, you're right there. But when you leave, you can't be there to protect and help from anything (big or small) that might happen. Just speculation or a guess on my part.

Many years ago I would have panic attacks while driving, after spending the whole day having fun and having a good time. But driving home late at night - panic attacks. One thing that helped get me through the drives was listening to the radio - no music. Talk radio - sports or generic stuff - no news. It always made me feel better because it made me feel that there were other people around. I've heard other people say the same about radio, too.

1 reply
User Profile: afox1986
afox1986 OP January 8th, 2020

@thoughtfulmomma I've never looked at it that way. To be honest I'm not exactly sure. I hope that's the case. I'm going to try to change up the time I take my medicine today that copes with the anxiety I experience. I'll try to have a different perspective on things along with trying what you said and see if that works. I appreciate your reply!

load more