Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

When to tell my anxiety needs professional help

User Profile: Gregory3
Gregory3 April 14th, 2021

Hello I have been suffering from the feeling of anxiety for over a year now, sometimes it’s stronger than other times, but it’s always there, I feel that its always taking a part of my focus away from anything I’m doing and therefore I’m not able to fully enjoy it because a part of my mind is always occupied. I dont know which level of anxiety is considered normal and which level is not.

2
User Profile: RarelyCharlie
RarelyCharlie April 14th, 2021

@Gregory3 I looked up the criteria for generalized anxiety disorder, and they include;

A. Excessive anxiety and worry (apprehensive expectation), occurring more days than not for at least 6 months, about a number of events or activities (such as work or school performance).

That seems to fit your situation. But there's also:

C. The anxiety and worry are associated with three (or more) of the following six symp­toms (with at least some symptoms having been present for more days than not for the past 6 months);

Of the six you only mention that your mind is always occupied. The other five are restlessness, fatigue, irritability, muscle tension, and sleep disturbance. There are a lot more criteria, too, including:

D. The anxiety, worry, or physical symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impair­ment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

So you seem to meet at least some of the criteria for a formal diagnosis, and possibly all of them. I suppose that would indicate that professional treatment would be helpful. It's not possible to make a real diagnosis by reading stuff on the Internet, of course.

As you probably know, treatments for anxiety typically include medication, therapy, or a combination of medication and therapy. So if you do decide to seek professional help, you could approach either a doctor or a therapist first.

If you'd ever like to chat about your situation, feel free to click on my profile picture and message me.

Charlie

User Profile: calmWishes2119
calmWishes2119 April 15th, 2021

Hey I hear you are struggling! I too struggle with managing my anxiety! If you ever need to talk please reach out to me!