Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Where does most of your anxiety come from?

User Profile: thoughtfulmomma
thoughtfulmomma January 25th, 2021

I'm just wondering where everyone finds most of their anxiety comes from. For me, it's over things I can't control. Things that I think might happen. Things that other people are doing that I feel might turn out bad, or wrong, or messed up - and that will make them feel bad or anxious.

The more I think things over, the more I realize that my anxiety stems from not being able to control everything in my life. I never really thought I was much of a control freak, but apparently I am. And lack of control makes me freak out.

Sometimes I wish I had anxiety that was just "in the moment." Like being in a crowd. But I guess any form of anxiety sucks and none is "better" than another.

I'm struggling with this control issue. I have an idea where it came from, and it seems that the older I get, the more I'm needing to control everything.

And it's exhausting.

8
User Profile: Asher
Asher January 25th, 2021

My anxiety comes from not knowing what is coming.

User Profile: ourjourneytogether
ourjourneytogether January 26th, 2021

Hello @thoughtfulmomma, this post really resonated with me because I get very anxious about things I can't control and even if the things I can control cause my anxiety because I have the fear I'm not doing things right or what if I screw up or something goes wrong.

User Profile: littleHuman3605
littleHuman3605 January 26th, 2021

Mines come from being sick or something I can’t control. Like flying and enc

User Profile: UwUIWolfieIUwU
UwUIWolfieIUwU January 26th, 2021

I always worry about others and wonder about what will happen to them and that if they are doing ok. Especially some friends that I have that live in another country and I know one of them has problems and I wish I could help them but I cant because we live in a different countries that's what hurts me the most I just want to be able to be there when they need someone or help but all I can do is comfort them in social media which is just worse because I would rather give them comfort face to face and when they are gone for a while I just worry more because I cant tell when they are safe or not.

User Profile: sonerii
sonerii January 26th, 2021

From my life in general. What is my future, will I ever find anyone who will love me like I'll love them. When someone suddenly approaches me and is kind to me, it scares me because I'm not used to kindness. I feel like they will just break me into pieces.

User Profile: thoughtfulmomma
thoughtfulmomma OP January 28th, 2021

I have recently identified something else that gets to me and causes me anxiety. I read WAY too much into things. Yesterday I overheard someone say something while she was talking on the phone. Now, I literally heard about ten words, and those ten words - completely out of context of the call - sent me into a tailspin because I thought it meant one thing and I freaked out. Turns out, it was completely harmless, not at all what I thought it was, and I wasted about 3 hours of energy worrying.

It just happened again. Someone said something that was a joke, but in my brain I didn't hear it as a joke. And it freaked me out. Even though there is absolutely nothing to freak out about.

Oh brain, why must you do this to me? Can't we be friends?

User Profile: creativeNickel7334
creativeNickel7334 February 1st, 2021

I think all of my anxiety came from the loss of my brother...

User Profile: fearlessLemon4109
fearlessLemon4109 February 1st, 2021

It comes from meeting new people, feeling scared that if I achieve i will receive judgment, from wearing new clothes or putting on something fancy, from struggling to keep a conversation going, from struggling to uphold my daily tasks, going out in public especially alone, from trying to get to sleep and thinking about the future. Ive gotten a lot better though due to my diagnosis of anxiety and depression because i knew i had depression but i never knew how much the anxiety controlled me. Its opened me on how i can manage and not really control but recognise these feelings and process them in healthy ways.