Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxiety when talking to authority figures and sharing opinions in class?

User Profile: Damnit1
Damnit1 November 15th, 2019

Im in university, im excelling in all my classes. But whenever i talk to my professor i always think im the stupidest anti-social person because i never know what to say and i always blank out and make uncomfortable awkwars gestures. I think ita so severe that today my professor took me out of class just to have a casual chat with me and now im thinking that he thinks im socially inept. Going in circles thinking about this is so draining to my energy...

2
User Profile: MonicaQu
MonicaQu November 17th, 2019

Hey thanks for writing! It can be really scared and nerve racking when talking in front of class perhaps you feel you could say the wrong thing or that people might laugh. I guess this would be on your mind a lot and would be nice if you could think or something else but that is kind of hard.

I dont know if you had that casual chat already but perhaps could message you so we could chat some more.

@Damnit1

User Profile: humorousDay8793
humorousDay8793 November 17th, 2019

@Damnit1

They say public speaking is the #1 fear of all people. I feel like that's true because I get the worst symptoms when Im called upon to speak without any notice. If I'm told in advance i will be called on to speak about a subject; I will usually write my words in a rhyme, but thats just me. Ive pulled it off a few times. I like spitting a rap because i can get it out very fast and sit back down and watch the responces as they are a little shocked and usually my rhymes tells a story. Its my way to avoid as much of the uncomfortable emotions as I can. Ive done this in front of 80 people once and it was sucessful. Im not sure how it would go over in your class, but im sure getting prepaired in advance can at least give you more confidence. Having a bit of faith in yourself does help a lot. Maybe you should write a little bit every night geared towards the subjects you might be called upon to speak about the next day. At least you will have practiced. And who knows, you may actually become eagar to share your words with freinds every day and get more confidence that way. Dont be shy, we all are in the same boat and a little vulnerability adds a little charm to yourself. Hace fun, turn it around. Get to the point you wish they would call on you 😊