Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do I make actual friends when I'm too anxious (and disabled) to leave my house?

User Profile: Ivictoria88
Ivictoria88 May 12th, 2022

I want friends. Every time I try either they don't understand my health issues and lose patience with me. Or they use me for what they can and then ditch me. Same story for 15 years be it a week, a month or a year every time I get close to someone they use me, abuse me and ditch me. Or they just don't understand what it's like living with a chronic illness.. Don't understand why I don't want to go out / sometimes not well enough others it's an anxiety thing. I don't know how to make friends or meet people.. Advice?! - I'm 33 BTW x IV

4
User Profile: xuchristina
xuchristina May 14th, 2022

Hi @Ivictoria88 I hope I could give you some advice. Though I'm a teen, I often make friends online through social media or Facebook groups. I think you should give it a try and that way, you could connect with someone who has the same circumstances or understands your feelings. I often join groups with people with the same hobbies or interests that way we can discuss something we both enjoy or have in common with. Friends are hard to make, especially good ones, but I think this would be a great start. Take my advice with a grain of salt and good luck.

1 reply
User Profile: Ivictoria88
Ivictoria88 OP May 17th, 2022

I actually did that many times over and I get used. The last time we were friends for over a year. Constantly talking ALL the time. We were even looking at moving from North England to South Wales to be near her.. One day she stops.. Turns out her wife has left her and taken their kid. Kicked her out and moved her new gf in, didn't want the puppy and my friend couldn't keep the puppy so I paid someone I know to drive me across two countries at the drop of a hat (which was very difficult for both my disabilities and anxieties) but my fiance was with me.. We adopted her puppy.. We even offered for her to come live with us in our tiny one bed place but we'd move and make it work. No she needs to stay near her kid. Fair play.. The next few weeks she seems off...... Turns out she's got back in touch with some guy from school and inside 3 weeks she's gone from I can't leave my kid to moving to the other side of England in with this guy!! And the only times she talks to me is to complain about her ex. Since her ex is basically neglecting their kid in favour of her new gf I suggested to my friend she put in for custody of the kid.. She makes excuses. So I point out how it seems she's making excuses so she either needs to accept her ex's new life or adopt the kid but going on about it isn't fixing anything. And apparently this makes me a terrible friend, I am not at all supportive. I am horrible. So now I'm somewhat against making online friends. I bought her stuff, I was there for her at all hours day and night 24/7 despite my health. I cancelled family things. And important appointments etc and apparently I'm unsupportive. She hasn't spoken to me since so that near 4 months now..

load more