Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My anxiety is too bad to even talk about it

User Profile: willingNickel8446
willingNickel8446 October 13th, 2015

I have social anxiety. Well I'm 99% sure I do. I have a hard time even talking about it because I get so embarrassed. My mom is a nurse and if anyone here has a parent who works in the medical area they'll understand my problem. My mom doesn't take me to the doctor for anything because she thinks that if something was wrong with me, she would know. And I live in canada so I know its not a money issue. A long time ago I finally tried talking about it and I said that talking to people I don't know makes me feel really anxious and she made fun of me and said "anxiety around people? that's ridiculous" I don't know what to do.

3
User Profile: humorousSugar1090
humorousSugar1090 October 13th, 2015

My dad is a doctor and it took him a long time to realize how bad I was before he was supportive. I've had social anxiety as long as I can remember so when it got worse and developed into a panic disorder he just though it was me being me and I should be able to handle it. I would try to find someone else you could talk to, another adult or a friend. Don't give up on your mom though, anxiety is hard to understand for someone who doesn't have it.

User Profile: Fluffball2339
Fluffball2339 October 15th, 2015

I'm sorry to hear that your mom dismissed the idea of you having social anxiety. I agree with what humorousSugar1090 said, it might be hard for her to understand what it feels like or to acknowledge it. But what's most important right now is that you get the support or professional help that you need. Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with the Canadian health care system, so I can't give you any specific tips on that.

If you can gather the courage, please look for an opportunity to visit a doctor yourself. If you can't do that without your parents' permission (I don't know what age you are, sorry), you might try to convince your mother that there's something genuinely bothering you and it's a problem that you'd like to have checked out. If your parents still can't accept that, you could also consider talking to a school counselor or a counselor at work. (That's how I found my therapist, a counselor pointed me in the right direction.)

I know it's especially hard to find help in real life when you have social anxiety disorder. It's already a great step that you've signed up to 7cups and you might find a listener or members who can give you some useful advice on how to deal with your anxiety. Take care, you're not alone. I hope you can find the help you need!

User Profile: igetcha
igetcha November 27th, 2015

That's tough. What you're feeling is real and the way your mom reacted, while that's probably actually what she believes, isn't healthy. Maybe it'd help if you go to a doctor for whatever reason eg a physical and ask the doctor about it. They'd be able to explain it to your mom better and it might be more convincing coming from a professional