Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Persistent social anxiety and depression affecting everyday life

User Profile: wv2864
wv2864 October 6th, 2016

I have tried everything to help cope with anxiety, books, websites, podcasts, diet, exercise, medication, and I am in the middle of therapy and I am losing hope. At 25 years old I don't feel much different from when I was a teenager. I feel it 24/7, it affects my relationships with my family, friends, professionally, and I honestly can't be like this at my age and with increasing responsibilities. I often times can't think of anything to say until I leave a social situation and I feel very tense, self conscious, awkward, and pressured to start or keep a conversation going. Just need some guidance.

12
User Profile: Annaxelia
Annaxelia October 17th, 2016

Hi @wv2864 the first step to feeling better is always seeking help. Well done on taking that step. Goodluck with your journey

User Profile: Exist56
Exist56 October 27th, 2016

@wv2864 I relate to this 100%. Most therapist I've seen don't get how impacting SAD is and because they can't relate. They just offer standard advice which is altogether unhelpful and a bit patronizing ("people are thinking of what they are going to say/Not paying all that much attention to you", "people don't notice that you are nervous or shaking as much as you think").

Different sources recommend 'exposure' therapy, but I'm having trouble finding a therapy that practices it and tbh the thought of going out into the public with a therapist there watching me is humiliating.