Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do you wish others (who don't have social anxiety) knew about you?

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney June 22nd, 2015

What do you wish others (who don'thave social anxiety) knew about you?

95
User Profile: NewYorkCity
NewYorkCity June 22nd, 2015

I had social anxiety all my life, and I grew out of it later. I was always invisible to others and I wish they knew how much fun they would have had if they hanged out with me. I would help them with their problems, and they would have a new best friend. I didint know anything about myself or how much I was capable of until I lost my social anxiety. (:

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP June 22nd, 2015

Aaah yes. When people don't always make the effort in reaching out to someone - they really have no idea who and what they're missing out on. ~ truth.

User Profile: CaringBrit
CaringBrit November 7th, 2015

@NewYorkCity thanks for sharing , im glad you lost the social anxety you had and yes thats true they dont know what there missing out on if they dont reach out to you :)

load more
June 22nd, 2015

I actually wish people didn't know about me so much.

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP June 22nd, 2015

Actually, yeah. I hear you on that. ☼ I really like this perspective.

load more
User Profile: LabellaKM
LabellaKM June 22nd, 2015

How fun and silly I am once I feel comfortable with you. It takes me awhile to warm up to someone so it's hard to make new friends with people.

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 5th, 2015

If only more people would take the time to really cultivate a friendship with people who don't just easily surrender their friendship to everybody..

User Profile: frankOak1471
frankOak1471 August 30th, 2015

This is exactly like me depending on the person it my take me anywhere from weeks to years but once I feel comfortable with some one I can be really funny and weird .

load more
User Profile: calmSummer1482
calmSummer1482 June 22nd, 2015

I wish they knew that the reason I cover my face with my hair, I don't wear crop tops, I don't date boys, I don't like answering the phone or the door, and I panic so much, is because I CANT CONTROL THE FEAR. They all think it's something I can get over, and I've tried to explain a million times. But then they go on "oh, I have anxiety too. I think so and so is gonna ask me out today and I'm anxious." Then they say that they tell themselves not to be anxious and they feel better. Man, I wish I could do that!!!

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 5th, 2015

Well, I'm no doctor/professional, but to me -- feeling nervous or anxious -- doesn't mean someone struggles with anxiety.

There are many extents/levels to anxiety -- and it's natural for people to feel anxious -- it's a biological trait to prepare us to either fight/flight/freeze .... it's when it starts prohibiting you from daily life that it becomes an issue.

☼ You are beautiful. Anxiety and all. Just because you can't convince yourself easily to stop feeling the way you do, doesn't mean you're broken or damaged. I'd say, it's like your mind is just suuuper protective of you ♡ which is kind of sweet in an annoying way, haha...

My best wishes are with you. Much love, ✌

User Profile: frankOak1471
frankOak1471 August 30th, 2015

I once tried explaining to a friend the feeling i get when ever i do something as simple as go to the park or the movies because she was inviting me to a bon fire but she just didn't understand. It's really hard for me to not feel panic when i have to interact with people in groups larger then 2 or 3 . However she didn't understand and told me she didn't get it because it wasn't like anything bad was going to happen.

load more
User Profile: braveTriangle3853
braveTriangle3853 July 18th, 2015

I wish they knew how really I love,admire n adore their social confidence n that I don't want to reject them with my awkward facial expressions n withdrawn behaviour and would love for them to see me for real without the pretentious personality that only makes em more uncomfortable n me at the same time. I wish they knew how painfully hard it is to smile n the effort made to do so at the right time without strain when I just want to evaporate from the burning eyes that wonder why I don't act like the person they see before them ( don't act like I look) in more like a mouse

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 19th, 2015

Aaaah yess~!! I've had too many negative experiences growing up revolving around being misperceived.

Since I was aware of that struggle, in high school (when I finally began to come out of my shell), there was this girl who stared at me oddly in class, was the only person who didn't laugh at a joke I'd said ... so, finally, I politely asked directly, "Hey. Do you have a problem with me, or are you just shy?" She didn't have much of a response, so I dropped it. After that day, we became friends.

People think they know everything-- enough to make their own assumptions.

I appreciate your honesty and sharing one of your battles here on this thread. You are lovely. ♡

load more
User Profile: Johnny20
Johnny20 July 20th, 2015

I wish they knew how difficult it is so maybe they would be less judgmental

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 20th, 2015

Yeaa~ imagine if most people sought to understand the lives and battles of others.

load more
User Profile: megs246
megs246 July 20th, 2015

I just recently got diagnosed with social and general anxiety disorders, and sometimes I wish that people knew so that when I do get anxious or nervous, I really can't help it and when they tell me to "calm down" without trying to help, it just makes it worse. But at the same time I could never tell anyone about why I get nervous because it just makes me feel like I'm begging for attention. And then I always think that they judge me, and when I do get anxious they may think I'm faking it.

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 20th, 2015

Do you think it would be beneficial to sit down with them.. before you are triggered, to explain how these anxiety disorders work - and what they mean for you.. and the most efficient ways to go about it? Anyone that wants to be in your life ought to know, so they can best connect to you before, during and after those times... maybe, you know? ♡

load more
User Profile: scarletOak6076
scarletOak6076 July 20th, 2015

Recently I met my boyfriend's parents and they thought I was rude and weird because I was quiet and standoffish. I wish people knew that there was more to me than my silence. Yes I'm quiet, but I help out at foodbanks, soup kitchens, and shelters to help put myself out there while helping people. I wish people realized that "just talk" is easier said than done. Just because they tell me to talk that doesn't mean that a switch will instantly flip. I wish people realized that it is an actual problem and it isn't something that is just made up to give myself an excuse. As I said before, there's more to me than my silence.

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 20th, 2015

It's such a bizarre thing- when even middle aged adults aren't as aware as they probably ought to be. There's such a vast spectrum of personality types, ways to behave, perspectives, etc ...

​I feel you, @scarletOak ☼ I wish you the best with him and his family. If given the time, they'll warm up to you, and you- to them, as well.

load more
User Profile: lovelyMacy
lovelyMacy July 20th, 2015

I wish people knew it's possible that I have it even if I'm "outgoing" and "dont seem shy." It can affect anyone, even if it doesnt "seem" like they have it.

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 20th, 2015

oh my god, YESSSS. The words out of my mouth. Thank you, sis. ☼✌

load more
User Profile: TheTruthIsALie1
TheTruthIsALie1 July 20th, 2015

That isn't stupidity, or being silly.

User Profile: zaatarHoney
zaatarHoney OP July 22nd, 2015

Truth... ✌

load more