Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Do you think bipolar disorder medicaments are dangerous for your body, in the long term?

User Profile: crixters
crixters March 28th, 2023

I used to take pills 2 years ago but I quit (I am not good to follow the entire treatment on my own and I don't have people to support me directly), I feel really bad now phisically and mentally but I am not sure if medicaments are good in the long term, I'm scared of them, I wouldn't want an internal damage or dependency when I'm older in exchange of mental stability.


I accept opinions, I could be great to read some experiences


thank you in advance

7
User Profile: LostTurtle2
LostTurtle2 March 28th, 2023

@crixters

studies show that brain regenerates lost gray matter while on bipolar meds, especially lithium. you're hurting your brain while not on meds. fortunately, its reversible.

3 replies
User Profile: RarelyCharlie
RarelyCharlie March 28th, 2023

@LostTurtle2 I didn't know that, but I checked and you're right.

Both manic and depressive episodes are also risky in themselves, of course. Medication is important to reduce those risks.

Charlie

User Profile: crixters
crixters OP March 28th, 2023

When you say "you're hurting your brain while not on meds" do you mean that the brains keeps getting worse and damaging itself because of the uncontrolled or bad quimical reactions or something like that?

1 reply
User Profile: LostTurtle2
LostTurtle2 March 28th, 2023

@crixters

I guess the chronic stress of untreated mania and depression makes your gray matter go bad. You can reverse it with treatment, so it's all good news.

load more
load more
User Profile: LostTurtle2
LostTurtle2 March 28th, 2023

Some believe lithium is an essential element and everyone should take some. Since you're a scientific mind, Look at the studies on mortality vs lithium in drinking water. Eye opener.

User Profile: generouscat0001
generouscat0001 March 30th, 2023

For me medication is they must because if I don't the lows are so low. I don't think I could stay around. I'm on mood stabilizers it doesn't really affect the mania aspect of it is just the depression

User Profile: charmingEast0413
charmingEast0413 April 1st, 2023

Hello,


I am currently on Quetiapine and it helps me sleep. Sometimes I feel like a zombie but it helps me focus. I can now enjoy watching movies unlike before. Not sure if its really a good thing or a bad thing but helps me with mania I think.