Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Career Growth vs. Marriage: Would You Sacrifice Face Time With Your Spouse for a Major Career Opportunity?

User Profile: Wmtis1024
Wmtis1024 July 22nd

Hi everyone, I’m facing a difficult career vs. family decision and would really appreciate some honest advice 🙏🏻

I live and work in Germany but am very unhappy with my low-level, low-paid role, with no clear promotion path, and my contract ends in December. I’ve been searching for a better job in Germany for about a year but haven’t received a single interview, partly because my German isn’t fluent enough.

I’ve now received a permanent offer in London that fits my career goals. However, moving would mean giving up my pathway to German permanent residency and potentially citizenship. My husband also needs to remain in Germany for another 2–3 years for his German citizenship, meaning I may not live with him in a same place.

Would you take the London opportunity and accept the separation and loss of your German immigration pathway, or stay in Germany with your spouse despite the bad job and the risk of unemployment after December?

I’d really appreciate honest advice from anyone who has faced a similar career, marriage and immigration dilemma. 🙏🏻

4
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo July 22nd

I wouldn't, but I did a LDR international relationship that started local in my 20s. It ended shortly after he got back. 

My husband and I have lived in different cities, but it wasn't international. 

If I were considering your situation the big question I would have is what's the long term plan? 

2 replies
User Profile: Wmtis1024
Wmtis1024 OP July 22nd

His long-term plan is to get his German passport. I originally wanted the same, but remaining in Germany is resulting in real career stagnation for me. I'm really worried about how the job market will view a growing employment gap or lack of progression, given how hard it already is to secure a job offer.

User Profile: Wmtis1024
Wmtis1024 OP July 22nd

His long-term plan is to get his German passport. I originally wanted the same, but remaining in Germany is resulting in real career stagnation for me. I'm really worried about how the job market will view a growing employment gap or lack of progression, given how hard it already is to secure a job offer.

load more
User Profile: Remina
Remina July 31st

@Wmtis1024

I guess you have to ask yourself, how important is your career, how important is it for you to make good money, and also it is the 21st century, so you both can communicate via phone and video and I am sure both you and him can still find time to see each other. What does he think about London?