Orlando Nightclub Tragedy - Discussion & Support
Early this morning a mass shooting occured at a gay night club in Orlando, Florida. Recent reports site that 50 people were killed and many more injured.
If you need more information - here are some of the news articles I have come across:
I am deeply saddened by this news report and wanted to create a space for us to talk about this tragedy and support one another. Please share how you are feeling here and lets have a supportive discussion that lifts our hearts up and honors those who have been impacted.
Got to love the NRA's reactions to this:
NRA Spokesperson: The NRA feels that the best way tu curb mass shootings like those in Orlando is to provide better mental health services which should prevent such individuals from being able to gain access to weapons on the first place.
Man on the Clapham Omnibus: So you would support more rigourous background checks and an increase in taxes necessary to provide the better mental health services?
NRA Spokeperson: First you want to take away my guns and now my money I use to buy guns with? Why don't you go back to Canada you damn liberal!
Hatred seemed to be every where but don't fight fire with fire fight with love
Prayers go out to all of the families who lost a loved one and hugs to all in my mind I light up a lot of candles in memory people who lost their lives with the 911 and the pairs and now Orlando 🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯🕯💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕🕯💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
My heart breaks for them. My deepest condolences to all the affected people 💜 xxxxxxxx
As a member of the LGBTQ Community I understand how devastating this is for our community. Tragedies like these may cause some people panic attacks, nightmares, anxiety, or suicidal thoughts. If anyone needs support feel free to message me anytime! ❤💛💚💙💜
In my country (Indonesia), some actually welcomed the gay shooting with delight, as LGBT is very opposed here.
.... A pastor in church actually said, "It's only appropriate. Their deaths don't need to be cried for. Those gays reaped what they sowed. I think it's great. To me, Orlando will be a little safer tonight (because 50 gays died)."
.... I have an awful feeling most of my schoolmates think the same. ...
@TellYou
Sometimes humanity makes you want to do beautiful things.Sometimes it makes you disgusted
@TellYou - that's very sad and scary - they may not know it but they are talking sbout some of their own loved ones, too.
@TellYou I'm also coming from a community antagonistic to LGBT although it sounds like you're community is much more hardline than mine is. Ignorance of some can be very painful.
As Krink said, unfortunately, in your church's congregation (and class as well) there are probably anywhere from a handful to a couple dozen other LGBT sitting there in silence and pain as well... It must be very painful knowing your peers wouldn't accept you if they knew. :( We're all here for you...
@SethK
It's not my church. It's a church in America. Most Indonesians don't even know about this news.
https://wgntv.com/2016/06/14/baptist-pastor-on-orlando-attack-are-you-sad-that-50-pedophiles-were-killed-today/
I honestly haven't read other responses yet. I'm just sitting at work and I've exhausted my friends on gchat but I'm struggling. I'm from the Orlando area but live about 1,000 miles away right now. I'm also bi. My immediate friends and family are all okay, but three friends of friends died. My sister's office is very close to Pulse, my dad is a security guard in the area, my mom drives Orange Ave every day and it was blocked off for some time. I spent Sunday and Monday calling everyone I know at home to make sure they're okay. Waking up to my sister's phone call early Sunday telling me about the shooting was indescribable. I keep feeling okay and then not okay. I'm furious that I am safer because I ended up in a hetero marriage, but my best friend and his husband are less safe. I'm furious that no one where I live seems to understand why this would upset me so much, since my friends and family are all okay. I have nightmares that there have been more attacks and I have to wake up and text my family. I can't be home to attend vigils or marches, or to go to Parliament with my friends. I don't know what I expect to get out of posting this.
@WildGeese I hope what you got from posting about your feelings and experiences with this rotten situation is an at least temporary respite from the gnawing anxiety and sense of confusion/pain you seem to be processing. I hope that interacting in a safe and caring place like 7 Cups can assist you in working through understanding whatever you can about the facet of issues that are all tangled up together in this unfathomable attack.
Please let us know how we can help support you. <3
@WildGeese How are you feeling today, sweetie?
I'm gay, and my mom always taught me to never ever be ashamed of who I am. Today, I'm not ashamed of who I am, I'm just scared. My friend asked me if I wanted to go to the movies and my mom said no because she's afraid I'll get hurt. But the worst problem is, I don't want to be on this planet anymore. Not because I'm depressed, but because I'm too scared. I'm too scared. I never feel safe, not even in my own home. And I'm always anxious. I shouldn't feel this way—I'm only sixteen.
@MaximumAuxilium - you're right. you should not have to feel that way. I hope you are finding people to talk to.
@MaximumAuxilium not being straight in a hetero-normative society which sometimes is anti-LGBT can be very scary. While we fight for who we are and stand up for what's right, we sometimes gotta admit that life can be scary. I hope you can reach out to people and get the support you deserve.
It still breaks my heart knowing that these people will never know if the world ever changes. Having known 3 of them as mentioned before, I did my first TV interview in over a year regarding my relationship with those 3 who were tragically killed celebrating who they are.
Safe places arent even safe places anymore. It hurts and breaks my heart that I can't even go to a club or pride festival without the fear of being killed...
Hatred against the shooter and those who cheered him are certain to receive it in any way possible, such as verbal or physical aggression, acting by anger in the thirst for vengeance
however, I've also noticed the depression and trauma on the victims of the shooting, as stated on CNN news; "Guilt of survival"
but no matter whatever facts on their identity, (sexuality, race...) they are all human beings as they deserve as much love as they can, no matter what