Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Crafters Unite: Where there's a wool, there's a way

User Profile: Acinonyx
Acinonyx March 13th, 2015

Are you a crafter? Do you enjoy making things and sharing them? Have people asked you to please stop giving them homemade sweaters and soap for Christmas? If you answered "yes" to any one of those questions, then this is the thread for you!

My craft of choice is knitting and crocheting, but you don't have to do either of those things to participate! If you woodwork, felt, scrapbook, make jewellery, paper mache, origami or do any other form of craft, feel free to share your work with us! I'd love to see what everyone's working on, and possibly encourage others to take up crafting! Even if you don't craft, it's really cool to see what other people are up to!

To start, I'll share my most recent projects! You can find pictures of the scarf I made for a friend here and here! And for funsies, here are a panda and a whale!

So, what are you making?

87
User Profile: Acinonyx
Acinonyx OP November 11th, 2015

Let me breathe life back into this thread if I can!

It's autumn, and that seems to drive people to crafting in preparation for the Christmas/gift-giving season! I imagine there are a bunch of people out there who have been dragging out and dusting off crafts of all varieties, so if you're interested in sharing, I'd love to see them!

I've been pretty busy myself! Let me show you what I've been working on!


I finished this about a month ago, but I had it kicking around forever, waiting for me to get off my butt and block it out! Now it just sits on the arm of my couch for when it gets a bit colder!


This is a prototype of a pillow I'm making for a friend! It ended up being way bigger than I was expecting, so I've got another one sitting on my counter waiting for some stuffing before I send it out! It's too cute that I couldn't make myself give it away. (Plus, shipping would have killed me.)


If you know me, or have seen my feed, you'll probably know I like sharks. A lot. So, I made a bunch! I may end up with a shark army if I'm not careful, but they're too cute!


A friend of mine wanted a fox hat, so I made her one, but she doesn't know that yet! I'm posting it in the mail (hopefully Friday), and am really excited to see what her response is when she gets it. =D

So, what are you making?

1 reply
User Profile: Imissme
Imissme April 26th, 2016

@ They are all great. I crochet too.

load more
User Profile: RJordan
RJordan November 11th, 2015

I do some craft type stuff as well. This year I am making Christmas presents for people, using yarn and plastic canvas. I will post pictures closer to Christmas. I tried to learn how to crochet, and got a basic stitch down but it turns out lopsided and i cant even make a good looking square :/

Oh, I also do string art. the thing with nails in a board and you wind string/yarn around and from one nail to another to make a pattern/picture.

1 reply
User Profile: Acinonyx
Acinonyx OP November 11th, 2015

@RJordan

That's really cool! It sounds like you do a lot of different things! I'm really excited to see what you've been working on so far!

Crochet can be a bit tricky when you first start out! It's really easy to add extra stitches or miss some and have it come out looking more triangular than square! A good way to keep that from happening is to count the number of stitches you have each row! YouTube has some really great videos on how to keep things square-shaped! =D

Really good luck with your crafting!

load more
User Profile: flipflop2016
flipflop2016 February 4th, 2016

I would really like to have some sort of hobby to take my mind off the thoughts I am having...I have tried to do lots of things but never have the motivation to carry on :( Or that I am no good and give up.

I want to start knitting is there any websites good for beginners?

3 replies
User Profile: Batfairy
Batfairy February 10th, 2016

@flipflop2016 YouTube is a good place to start, then just jump in and have a go!!

I'm self taught. I've been knitting for 4 years and crocheting for 3. I just love the busy fingers sensation and the escapism but I just don't spend enough time crafting!

It's one of the first things to go when downward and takes a huge amount of effort to get going again but when I have, it really speeds recovery!!

1 reply
User Profile: flipflop2016
flipflop2016 February 10th, 2016

@Batfairy thank you, I have had a look on YouTube and found some good videos. I think as you said yourself it is such a effect to make a start on anything ...but I will try.

load more
April 19th, 2016

@flipflop2016 I was always struggling to find a craft that I would stick with. Turns out it was working with clay! I hope you're doing well with the knitting :)

load more
User Profile: CaringBrit
CaringBrit March 17th, 2016

my Newest drawing that ive drawn hope you like it

User Profile: BedazzledShootingStar
BedazzledShootingStar April 5th, 2016

Hi everyone!

I'm more of a sewer, than anything else. I've made my own costumes (nothing too complicated, but still) and some dresses. Currently working on this ren faire-esque dress for the summer. I also found this cute dinosaur fabric on spoonflower that I'm going to make a dress out of because why not?

I'm trying to learn how to crochet, but I haven't worked on it lately. Any tips for a budding crocheter?

7 replies
User Profile: CaringBrit
CaringBrit April 5th, 2016

@BedazzledShootingStar have you got any pictures of your work ?

6 replies
User Profile: BedazzledShootingStar
BedazzledShootingStar April 6th, 2016

@CaringBrit Going through my cosplay tag on tumblr made me realize how most of my cosplays were either pieced together or made by someone else (my Little Sister dress is like that, but I made it bloody and awesome)

First link is recent pics of my Toph Beifong outfit. The first cosplay I made years ago (like 7 years ago) and recently fixed the belt and wig so I can wear it again to ACEN this year https://gyazo.com/fc238a6c378f73e44eb9810292663790

This link is to my not done Codex cosplay. https://gyazo.com/b61d7aaf70ba2a7021bf9d7f6c1737a7 Someday I will finish this.

Super old pic of my Magenta cosplay, but I haven't worn this one recently. I NEED to go see Rocky Horror live soon. https://gyazo.com/19e7822ac0413d53527896cb7e0677a3

I also made this plushie dog for my dad. We have an English Bulldog, so I made this one to match. https://gyazo.com/88122f6add8f70d8b9cbf1e595b5c64f

(Edited by fluffyunicorns84 to copy links of pictures from other post, to replace social media links. If wish discuss this at all feel free to PM me.)

5 replies
User Profile: CaringBrit
CaringBrit April 6th, 2016

@BedazzledShootingStar not allowed to share social media hence why i asked for pics

1 reply
load more
User Profile: fluffyUnicorns84
fluffyUnicorns84 April 16th, 2016

@BedazzledShootingStar Amazing work, you must have some patience. Look forward to seeing more work :D. I love Rocky horror show been few times. However yet to dress up, next time maybe ha. Loving the little doggie too , so cute!!.

2 replies
User Profile: BedazzledShootingStar
BedazzledShootingStar April 18th, 2016

@fluffyUnicorns84 Thanks! Yeah, I'm working on a sundress with this fabric on it: https://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/2364549-dinosaurs-in-space-by-kristykate I have two weeks to finish it for my yoga class. Long story, but I'm excited!!!

1 reply
User Profile: fluffyUnicorns84
fluffyUnicorns84 April 18th, 2016

@BedazzledShootingStar ah fab material. Look forward to seeing the end result!!

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: BeingTheChange
BeingTheChange June 4th, 2016

I used to finger knit, and I really want to pick it up again. And I also just learned how to arm knit, so I'm going to try doing them on a regular basis.

User Profile: exuberantStrawberries9544
exuberantStrawberries9544 March 20th, 2022

I buy a deck of cards at the dollar store. And create a mini art project on the face card. Every day for 50 days!

I

I sewed aprons for my granddaughter

reciently, but I love woodworking, painting, recovering furniture,all kinds of crafts making bath bombs, and soap