Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I've had spastic diplegia cerebral palsy and have used a wheelchair since I was 3 years old. Ask Me Anything!!

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 March 1st, 2022

Hey all,

So, tonight, I noticed that there was a sub-topic for AMAs in this forum section, and so I thought that I would take the plunge. Figured it would also make for a fun icebreaker for me as well as being a fun opportunity for us to get to each other. :)

10
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo March 2nd, 2022

Do you use the wheelchair all the time for getting around or a combo of that and walking? If a combo, do you come across issues of being told you don't need it, are faking, etc?

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP March 7th, 2022

@AffyAvo

When I was younger, I used to use a combination of a wheelchair and walker. And I guess since I was just a kid, I thankfully never ran into that dynamic where people would question my situation. With age, and wanting to conserve my body's energy, I ended up transitioning to a wheelchair full-time. This honestly was the best decision for me and my body; I know my parents initially chose to see this as me giving up. Perspective is a hell of a drug, lol.

User Profile: MyNameIsNicole
MyNameIsNicole March 7th, 2022

@sereneSunset26

I agree, it always depends on what side you look at it from. That's a great decision in my opinion as you made yourself the priority!

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP March 7th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

Thank you for the compliment!! It took me way too long to learn to make myself the priority, but I am glad that I did. :)

User Profile: MyNameIsNicole
MyNameIsNicole March 9th, 2022

@sereneSunset26

me too, super proud of you❤️

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP March 11th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole

Again, thank you!! Hearing that, even from a stranger, means more to me than I can say. :)

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo March 8th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 I think a lot of parents have a similar perspective when we use tools that are available to us that we didn't need (or need as much) as kids. I have heard similar things from a friend with CP. My mom gave me a warning not to 'act disabled' when my disability status was finally approved, that I was just as capable before it was in. *shakes my head* It got approved because I do have disabilities and just being me, doing what I do day to day is one way of disabled living.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP March 9th, 2022

@AffyAvo

That makes a lot of sense.

I know for my parents, that they always assumed I would be healed by divine intervention. And well, when it didn't happen, their coping mechanism(s) got exposed.

So yeah, when viewed especially through that lens, it gives context to their reactions to me as I grew up.

User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo March 9th, 2022

@sereneSunset26 Oof that one is just a whole other can of worms! I've experienced that from outsiders but no one I'm really close to luckily. Unless divine intervention is done through medical science.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP March 11th, 2022

@AffyAvo

Can of worms is definitely right, haha!!

What is funny and ironic is that I have received healing through medical science. Modern medicine pretty much allows me to function as best as I can on a daily basis, whatever that may be. So I have a whole lot of gratitude and acceptance for it at the same time. :)

But unfortunately, for my parents, it was all-or-nothing. And honestly? I learned from that. If I had put all of my happiness eggs in the singular basket of being 100% healed of my cerebral palsy, well, I wouldn't have ended up being very happy. 😅

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more