Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What coping mechanisms do you find helpful to ease the daily pain or stress caused from your disability?

User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 November 14th, 2017

Hey everyone! Despite the daily stresses and pain a disability can cause someone, it can be a huge relief to find peace in a coping mechanism. Although I personally don't have a disability, I do have Tourette's Syndrome, and I often find that if I distract myself from my tics, it can be help immensely. Some coping mechanisms I personally find helpful are sketching and art in general, writing, listening to calming music, reading a hard-to-put-down book, watching an interesting movie, and even skiing when the season is around! However, everyone is different. What coping mechanisms do you find helpful?

107
User Profile: Abdallah2017
Abdallah2017 February 19th, 2018

You have a value , you are here for a reason...

Just look for what fits you more?

User Profile: Abdallah2017
Abdallah2017 February 19th, 2018

May be I am not disable one...but I have periods of illness made me like disable in which I can discover myself and develope my life for better...

Really it makes me looks how much nice world I live in ?

Before I didnt notice...

Every day sunrise is a gift.

Asmile to someone or from is a gift.

Rain view or sound is a gift.

Green trees uprising to sky is a gift.

Air is a gift.

Mind is a gift.

Heart is gift.

Helping other is a gift.

Really contentment is most valuable gifts.

Our life is really a gift but we focus on our physical needs only....

We have body , brain , and soul...

I hope you get my concept to look to your life not by positive point if view but from point of contentment.

User Profile: stacy46
stacy46 February 19th, 2018

March 8, 2018 is my second hearing date. Stressed out to the max.

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP February 20th, 2018

@stacy46

Good luck!

User Profile: caringShoulder14
caringShoulder14 February 20th, 2018

@stacy46 good luck!

User Profile: stacy46
stacy46 March 28th, 2018

@stacy46 Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. I got approved for disability!

load more
User Profile: Q59
Q59 April 13th, 2018

I just try to forget or think about the positive and negative sides of me being disabled and if I'm not

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP April 13th, 2018

@Q59

Emphasizing the positive's can definitely help! Despite having a disability, I think it's important to recognize that you have some abilities. Focus on what abilities you do have, rather than the abilities that you don't have can help

User Profile: caringShoulder14
caringShoulder14 April 23rd, 2018

@Q59 its always good to remember to look at the positives! its so easy to get caught up in the negative

load more
User Profile: inventiveHouse2965
inventiveHouse2965 April 20th, 2018

@Emily619 researching natural health solutions for my issues, planning a garden, designing things like custom clothing for myself to fit my disability needs and storage for keeping things organized... constant pain can disrupt the thought process and memory and make it difficult to remember to do everything, so organizing helps to keep things readily available for my needs. The computer helps a lot with spreadsheet programs that i can use to keep things as orderly and organized as i can. Drawing, writing, upcycling things that people throw in the trash... making it new and nice for my own use... collecting things that can be used by people i know who also in the same disability boat... finding things for free is an awesome way to help myself and others... and recycling makes me feel like i am doing something good for the world-wide community. And sharing ideas (improvement ideas) with others to help expand their world, empower them and help them find little ways out of the dark world of disabilities and low-level income. These are some of my coping mechanisms. feel free to message me if you need ideas... I am full of them most of the time.

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP April 20th, 2018

@inventiveHouse2965

Those are awesome coping mechanisms; I'm so glad they work for you!

User Profile: caringShoulder14
caringShoulder14 April 23rd, 2018

@inventiveHouse2965 these all sound like great coping mechanisms

User Profile: PinkFloyd65
PinkFloyd65 May 8th, 2018

@inventiveHouse2965 thats super cool! Keep it up!

June 29th, 2019

@inventiveHouse2965

That's really Cool, helpful and fun great ideas.

User Profile: Happy900
Happy900 May 12th, 2020

@inventiveHouse2965 Thanks for sharing

User Profile: JoyousBear
JoyousBear June 4th, 2020

@inventiveHouse2965 exercises and fun time with friends are very relaxing for me.

load more
User Profile: PinkFloyd65
PinkFloyd65 May 8th, 2018

Reading helps me. I find its a nice distraction from when I feel overwhelmed about certain aspects of my disorder. Also, my best friend helps me a lot too.

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP May 8th, 2018

@PinkFloyd65

Reading definitely helps smiley What're your favorite genres?

1 reply
User Profile: PinkFloyd65
PinkFloyd65 May 8th, 2018

@Emily619 I love reading romances as well as science fiction the most. I also like art and music books, and books related to animals.

load more
User Profile: caringShoulder14
caringShoulder14 May 12th, 2018

@PinkFloyd65 i love reading!

load more
User Profile: LibbyDouglas
LibbyDouglas June 1st, 2018

thnaku

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP June 1st, 2018

@LibbyDouglas

You're welcome, anytime!

load more
User Profile: UnambitiousKitten
UnambitiousKitten September 23rd, 2018

My cats are my number one resource. The love of a pet is unconditional. I don

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP September 23rd, 2018

@UnambitiousKitten

I love animals as coping mechanisms! Do you own dogs as well?

1 reply
User Profile: UnambitiousKitten
UnambitiousKitten September 24th, 2018

@Emily619

I don

load more
June 27th, 2019

@UnambitiousKitten

Kitties are awesome

load more
June 27th, 2019

I like to color while listening to music

2 replies
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 7th, 2019

@Fireskye13

That's a great coping mechanism! Adult coloring books are quite soothing, indeed

1 reply
November 7th, 2019

@Emily619 thx but I use kids coloring books

load more
load more
User Profile: izate
izate September 14th, 2019

I eat a lot of bonbons which relaxes the muscles around my mouth and neck which are often tensed up because of my facial tics. It can also somehow distract the muscles from ticing too much so when I go out I almost always take a good amount of bonbons with me haha.

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 7th, 2019

@izate

I have tics, too, and I remember my therapist suggested bon bons as a distraction from tics. I'm glad they're helping you!

1 reply
User Profile: izate
izate November 12th, 2019

@Emily619 Hey, I never heard that anyone else does that too. It somehow feels really good to hear that others have similar stuff going on. :) Bonbons ftw. :D

load more
load more