Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I don't want to recover from Anorexia. I don't know how to get past this mindset?

User Profile: Laura
Laura December 10th, 2014

What's up with this mindset? Get support letting it go!

15
User Profile: scarletField45
scarletField45 March 8th, 2015

I just feel like while it's got a grip on me, I have an excuse to be fat. I know that I need to 'recover' but I don't want to :-/

User Profile: Twist
Twist March 12th, 2015

I am afraid of what will happen if I recover....I know I need to but it terrifies me to the point where I don't want to recover anymore...it is a scary feeling

1 reply
May 18th, 2016

@Twist It makes sense that the unknown is scary. It is very normal to be ambivalent about recovery. Sometimes it helps to focus on what aspects of recovery you ARE motivated for... For example, on a scale of 1 to 10...10 being all the time when you are awake and 1 being never...how often do you think about food? What do you want that number to be? How often do you think about your body? What do you want that number to be? What would you think about if you weren't having your thoughts monopolized by food/body... Those aspects of recovery may seem less scary--try focusing on what you are ready for. All the best!

load more
User Profile: Weirdgirl101
Weirdgirl101 March 16th, 2015

I don't wanna recover yet. Im not skinny enough, and I promissed myself that when I get there, I'm going to ask for help, but I'm afraid that i will never think Im skinny enough.

3 replies
User Profile: pinkcircle
pinkcircle March 21st, 2015

Then you should try send get help now I know it's not easy believe me but if you can recover before it gets more serious then it will be so much better in so many ways. Anorexia can cause death and you definitely don't want to wait for the day your heart gives out because you haven't been giving it enough nutrition. I know it's hard but getting help now is the best thing you can do, it will be hard but the longer you wait the harder it will be stay strong.

User Profile: Chillybones01
Chillybones01 January 13th, 2016

@Weirdgirl101

I feel exactly the same way....I want to be skinny...don't want to be fat and for me, recovery means fat

User Profile: impartialSummer5848
impartialSummer5848 April 8th, 2016

@Weirdgirl101

i feel the same way

load more
User Profile: Sofia830
Sofia830 March 16th, 2015

I feel that way every day every second bc I 'should' eat at times normal people eat at. I am afraid I will gain weight while recovering then I think I have gotten to this point why stop I'm doing good. Yeah I agree I still don't know how to not think these things. Like I honestly know without looking the amount of carbs and calories in everything I eatwhen I have to.

User Profile: Anomalia
Anomalia March 24th, 2015

I know what that's like...I think the hardest part about recovery for me was committing to wanting it. I spent the majority of the time going back and forth between wanting my disease and wanting recovery, all the while feeling like I was failing at both.

It was a slow process, but I made myself think every day about what I wanted out of recovery, how my life would be better if I could eat normally, go out for coffee with friends, have a normal dating life, etc. and reflecting on the fact that even though I was thinner, I was no happier than I had been before.

1 reply
User Profile: Mypaperface
Mypaperface July 29th, 2015

What a simple but remarkable idea it is to put forth the same effort as staying skinny into healing the mind.

load more
User Profile: Dianaymia1991
Dianaymia1991 April 10th, 2015

Holasoyanorexicaybulimicadesdelos 16asmegustarconocerpersonasquehallanpasadoporestoo loestenpasando.Muchosbesos!!!

User Profile: purrkittenpurr
purrkittenpurr July 10th, 2015

This is exactly how I feel. It kind of scares me, but not eating also makes me feel calmer. And yes, I know it's bad, I know I need food... but I just don't want it.

User Profile: gregariousEyes2752
gregariousEyes2752 October 26th, 2015

i cant decided if i would rather be skinny and be succeeding, or be healthy but gaining weight (which literally makes me feel sick just thinking about it) but being able to focus on my a levels...i know a levels should be more important, and health should be, but i just cnt face gaining weight.

1 reply
User Profile: Anomalia
Anomalia October 27th, 2015

@gregariousEyes2752 - I understand how you feel, and I spent WAY too many years juggling with that same question. I felt like somehow, if I were just thin, everything else would fall into place. But honestly, being thin never really made me happy, just desperate, and things didn't start falling into place until I finally allowed myself to let go and work towards recovery. It's not an easy path, but it is a possible one, and if you want some support while you walk down it, you can always reach out to me or any other listener. Take care and be safe.

load more