Getting rid of my parents influence
I live at home with my parents and my two little sisters. They manage all my finances. I have a full time job and I’m not in grad school yet, I have asked to let me pay for some things since I am making good money and to make myself more independent, despite already being very independent. But they won’t let me because they said it’s something they agreed on when they got pregnant that they would take care of everything until I’m out of the house. I also have a tracker on my phone. It was out on when I was in middle school because I would walk from my school to my sisters school which were a couple of blocks away, and now I’m 22 and still have it along with the rest of my family. It had interfered in my relationship, because my boyfriend didn’t grow up with parents like mine. Growing up as well I was always compared to family members and friends. “Why don’t you go out more?” “Why don’t you have a lot of friends?” “You got a 96, why not 100?” “People your age are going out doing things, going on vacations, you do nothing with your life.” There was an incident too where they forced me to break up with my current boyfriend, they said it was either him or them. However, I’ve been secretly seeing him still. They tell me who I should date and have made comments like “he’s not good with the family,” “if you see that he doesn’t blend in well with the family then maybe he’s not the right one,” “he doesn’t do this/that”. Like they expected my relationship to be out of a movie, or what it was like when they were dating. I’m a very quiet person with a lot of anxiety so it’s hard for me to speak up and say something, and knowing how they react they just want what they want. I don’t know what to do and need help overcoming this
@chrysanthemum1123
Thank you for sharing & I am sorry to hear about how they are making you feel. My best advice would not to compare yourself to others around the same age. I know it is a lot but I would also take some steps to stand up to your family. You are not alone in this many people can relate. If you ever need a chat just click on my profile.