Going No Contact With Parents?
Hello, I’m looking for advice if I should go no contact or not. My family is pretty much judgmental perfectionists, and I’m the complete opposite. I rarely talk to them, and only talk to them out of obligation when they call or text. When they call or text it gives me extreme anxiety and depression just to have to talk to them. I moved in awhile back with my manipulative sister, her husband and my nephew. That turned awful, and made me feel the lowest I ever felt in my life. I was constantly walking on eggshells, and being treated like I’m her literal child. I gained the courage to go no contact with her, and it’s been great. Now it’s my parents. After the mess with my sister I wrote her a letter about how I feel hurt, and need space. My sister then turns everything back on me telling everyone about it. As she’s always telling everyone everything I do. Getting my parents involved. Always!! My dad told me to apologize to her, and be the bigger person. My letter wasn’t rude it was stating how I was feeling, and ways to better our relationship yet I’m told to apologize for being hurt? My mom never brought it up only a year later she did when I was visiting her, and my mom asked why I don’t talk to my sister, and I told her it was the letter, and nothing got resolved. Her response that was a long time ago. My parents seem to be obsessed with my sister. Never ask how I’m feeling. I was told by my dad multiple times my sister needs me, and how I’m a good caretaker I’m convinced that’s how they see me. I’m the scapegoat/ caretaker. I don’t relate with them. I live miles away from them luckily, but they constantly want me to visit or visit for holidays, and I really don’t care too. Both my parents are divorced as well living in different states it’s also to much taking time off just to visit them. I’m never taking vacation for myself. My time off is always for my family.
I've been experiencing almost the exact same thing with my family, it's kind of scary. I just spent a week on the other side of the country with my mother to help take care of her elderly mother, my grandmother. I tried my best to be supportive of both of them and not take sides, but they have their own mother/daughter issues. So I try not to get involved but I got dragged in anyway. Now that we're back home, I'm trying to mend things with my mother, but it's painful. I asked to be given some space so I could have time to think, but that seemed to add flames to the fire. Hang in there!
I know exactly what you're going through. After a lifetime of abuse in all sorts I went no contact. Truthfully, its great, but scary and definitely lots of emotions.. but the healing i get to go through now is definitely worth it. It is scary, but listen to your heart, and when I decided to choose no contact, I decided I had enough and had to protect me and my family