Letter to my parents
I am thinking of trying another big push in the new year to be even more direct to stand up to my parents. I wrote up some things I want to say to my mom:
"In the new year, I would like to express again that I feel it is important this year for you to work on creating a positive family dynamic by seeking professional counseling. A professional has the skill-set to help you work on your conflicts with dad, communication, and handling stressful situations calmly without lashing out at others. As your daughter, even as an adult, I feel very stressed and scared to have an environment where my parents are fighting during holidays or family events and to be stuck in that environment. I also find it stressful and scary when you in the past have lashed out at me when I made a mistake or struggled with something. As a young person trying to grow and learn new skills, I deserve a support system that provides me with understanding and encouragement as I learn and make mistakes as part of my growth. I feel strongly that these concerns have been happening for a long time and need to be addressed by someone who is trained in the field of family counseling work.
@Daydreamer47
Hey there,
I think that taking steps to get what you need in your life is an awesome goal for a new year!
I'm impressed by the thoughts that you shared in your letter! I think that you stated clearly how you feel, the effects that the situation in having on you, and what you need for your life to be emotionally healthy. I also think it's great that you offered a clear method for her to seek out in order to help the situation.
I'm sending you my best wishes and support!
~ Sher