Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

One way I keep in touch with my family is….

User Profile: Hope
Hope August 25th, 2023

Hi everyone, life happens, either you move away or someone from your family does. As we grow older and hopefully wiser, we realize that any relationship no matter how close requires some level of effort to maintain it.


How do you keep in touch with your family?

14
User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 August 25th, 2023

@Hope I don't have any parents or any family. Except my son, Joshua he's a angel in heaven now. I stay in contact with him by sitting in the garden under joshuas tree, the willow tree and talking to him, everyday. Also people here on cups are the best family I could ever want ❤❤

User Profile: soulsings
soulsings August 26th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11 I am sorry for your losses. Glad you are finding ways to cope. Thank you for sharing.

A few months back, lost my mom after a long struggle with dementia. It taught me to let go so when she did go it was not a complete shock.

She said don't give me flowers when I am noo here, give them to me now when I am alive. I think she was a smart lady and had that one figured out well. She got flowers for 15 years every time I visited her! And I will remember that too.

User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 August 26th, 2023

@soulsings awww I'm sorry. Dimentia is such a difficult thing for family members to deal with 😞 but flowers that a very sweet precious part of your story ❤❤ stay strong gives you giant tiny hug ❤

User Profile: soulsings
soulsings August 26th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11 thanks for your support. Dementia is rough but she was lucky in that she could live independently all her life. She got her wish in that way. Hugs

User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 August 27th, 2023

@soulsings awww yes always think of the good times ❤❤❤❤ here if you need to talk

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: nokivaris
nokivaris August 26th, 2023

@Hope

I still live with my closest family but have had less contact with half-siblings and my grandmother who has moved a lot during the past few years.

I've tried my best to text or call them to talk about mine and their day or recent happenings. Honestly for me the best way has been to take the train or get a ride from others to go visit them! I love to bring small gifts with me so they can remember me after the visit :)

User Profile: soulsings
soulsings August 26th, 2023

@nokivaris wow that is a nice idea to bring small gifts. What kind of things make nice gifts?


User Profile: nokivaris
nokivaris August 26th, 2023

@soulsings

As someone who gets crafty really often, I try to make something myself. Maybe it's a nice card (especially if it's been their birthday recently!), a really interesting origami I learned to make recently or even a drawing. For an example my grandmother loves cats from the bottom of her heart so I try to make something based on her old cats or just in general cat themed :)

Sometimes I don't have the time or energy for a handmade gift I try to bring coffee (really finnish, it goes well haha), tea or maybe desserts that they like. If I find any cat themed decoration, I like to bring that to my grandmother :D

User Profile: soulsings
soulsings August 26th, 2023

@nokivaris those all sound very thoughtful and kind.

My grandmother always made us beautiful embroidered items. She really made us feel nurtured.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: tani2004
tani2004 August 27th, 2023

@Hope

I try to call them whenever I am free and send them morning and night texts. Often ask about their health and well-being and go to meet them whenever i get time!