Parents being picky in jobs I want to work at
Some background here is that I’m someone in my early 20s and I was born in the US at a time where I’m lucky to be living a middle to upper class lifestyle. I’m a college student but taking a semester off to earn money and take the time to decide what I want to do and which school I want to go to. I also want to move out with my boyfriend of over two years in about six months but haven’t told my family yet. My parents are in their 60s and immigrated to the US in the 80s from Fiji. They came from living in a house made of tin to then living in a bad neighborhood and now in a fairly safe and wealthy Today I got a call for a job I applied to at an agency that sends you to work at a warehouse. The job is as a material handler and I’ve never done it before but any job I get I’m always willing to learn and do put my all into it. I’m not picky about where I work right now because I know I’m young and don’t have to worry about my title if I’m not going to have a career till I get my degree. I want the money because I want to buy my boyfriend valentines gifts and I’m basically broke because I spent too much on my family during the holidays. I just wanted to make them happy so I didn’t care about the money. Now I get scared to pay for gas or go buy pads cause my balance is so low. Here’s what my parents did. When I told them in the afternoon they were initially excited because my dad used to work for the agency and therefore trusts them. He did get mad and quit thought. That’s because he doesn’t like working under anyone and has done this at multiple jobs. By the time dinner came around, they both flipped around and changed their minds. My dad literally told me not to go. I was furious I’m an adult and he’s commanding me like that. I was confused why all of a sudden they said no. My mom had called her friend who also works with the agency and her friend said, “if your daughter has so much experience and has gone to college why does she want to do that kind of job.” Her friend said how hard it is and how unfair. I only have 11 months of work I’ve done total and I’ve only done most of my general education in college. Where I’m at that’s basically nothing. Then my dad said I wouldn’t be able to do the job and that it’s too hard for me. This position is only for two weeks. He said I wouldn’t last. He said I’m wasting my time. They’re paying me more than minimum wage. It’s full time. It gives me a chance to look for other places and make money at the same time. He didn’t listen when I said this he said I was being stupid if I go and that I won’t be able to do it. My mom agreed with everything and said I’d be too slow. My dad added that I don’t pay bills but he wants me to get a job to be able to pay for my car again. I was paying for over two years and he took it over since I haven’t been working. This isn’t the first time they’ve done this. This happens with every decision I make. Someone please help me.
@anna289
Hello Anna, I'm very sorry to hear about your struggle. It must be hard to feel like that, when your parents don't understand you and put you down no matter how hard you try to explain it to them. Independence is a very hard thing, it doesn't matter how old you are. I totally feel you there. It sounds like you really would benefit from this job and the decision on whether you should take it or not should be solely yours. It's very sad to hear you had to go through a fight with your family for that, to the point where you fear to tell them other things, like the fact that you want to live with your boyfriend. Please know it's valid to feel the way that you do and you shouldn't be judged for it.
You're strong and it's great that's you're looking for your path in life. I wish you the best of lucks with everything.
PS: I also wanted to let you know I deleted those posts you flagged, I'm sorry you had to go through that. You're supported and I'm glad you decided to come here to talk. I hope you can connect to a listener 1-1 as well if you want. All the love x.
Mel, 7Cups Ambassador. "and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make".