Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Parents with no boundaries

User Profile: chrysanthemum1123
chrysanthemum1123 October 14th, 2022

I’m a 22 year old adult. I’ve always gotten good grades, never asked for anything expensive growing up or in return, I have a full time job and am applying to grad school. Since I was little I have always been independent, I think that’s because my parents focus was on my younger sisters, one being special needs, so I was left to figure things out myself with school and such. I also grew up being very quiet and not really expressing my emotions with anyone. I always bottled things up. Two years ago I started dating someone. And it felt like we’ve known each other all our lives, we grew up close to each other, we knew the same people and yet we had just met. What I love about him is he’s everything I wish I was. Outspoken, so independent that he refuses his parents help even if he needs it. From the beginning he always felt a little uncomfortable around my parents because they never asked him anything about himself, and because of that he never had conversations with my parents. So I guess you can say the relationship between him and my parents was off from the beginning. They would make comments here or there that he’s a very picky eater, he doesn’t come in and shake my dad’s hand or kiss my mom hello he just says hi from afar and he’s quiet around the family at times. Recently, there was an incident where he called my sister a moron. He saw the relationship between me and my sister and saw we would call each other names but in a joking loving way, so he felt he had that relationship with her too. He also said that it’s a joke within his family that everyone calls each other that in a loving way. Although I yelled at him that night that he shouldn’t have called her that and he apologized, my sister went and told my parents. They then told me I had to break it off with him. We have cameras in the house and I have a tracker on my phone. They went on the cameras and watched when he said it. And they saw that I didn’t do anything right away so they were upset about that too. They then don’t me that they never liked him from the beginning, said that he wasn’t the right one for me and I needed to break it off with him. I didn’t want to, I love him with all my heart. He makes me want to be a better person, be more independent (my parents also have control over my bank accounts and credit cards), and I feel so comfortable with him. We don’t really go on dates because we both work and he is in a PTA program which takes up a lot of his time. He also shares a car with my parents. It does bother me that we don’t see each other that often but I understand that we have things going on in our lives as well. I’m also not allowed to drive over anymore because he didn’t follow me home one night and I lied about it meanwhile they checked the cameras. When I told my boyfriend what was happening I told him maybe he should go on a break, and I sobbed. He saw I really didn’t want to and how much it pained me to say it. He cried as well and say he doesn’t want to lose me and he would fight for us. He is always willing to tell my parents what is going on but I know they won’t talk to him. All they care about is that we don’t go away like everyone else, or he doesn’t take me to nice restaurants or buy me jewelry and stuff. He got me a framed picture of us for our anniversary and all my parents said was “that’s it? Really?” I don’t want to lose him in my life so I had to tell me parents that we’re just friends now. But I don’t know what to do. I feel like my parents have so much control over my life and it’s not fair because I am 22 years old. I know it’s tough for us to be dating at 22 and 24 because we’re just starting our lives with work and school for our careers but we’ve always been there for each other. I support him with helping him study and he helps me with applying to the schools for the grad program. All my family does is focus on the negative which then makes me feel like he deserves better. I don’t know what to do anymore.

2
October 14th, 2022

@chrysanthemum1123 Hi. Your parents are morons. Just kidding. But they don’t seem to be listening to you, that this is an important relationship to you. And your bf sounds like a great guy. I hope they come to accept your choices.

— All the best

User Profile: XxAzuraCafexX
XxAzuraCafexX October 14th, 2022

@chrysanthemum1123

Hello! That sounds like a really frustrating situation :(

It seems that your parents are very protective of your sister, since this is where they drew the line. They also seem to expect a movie like romance for you two.


And it is definitely hard to establish boundaries when this is the way they have been behaving your whole life.

I also completely agree with you there. You are 22 and the amount of control you have to deal with is not okay. I am sure it is hard for them to realize that you are a young adult who needs to live and build your own life, but eventually it has to happen.

Your boyfriend learning from the situation and apologizing and realizing he crossed a line is a wonderful example on how people should treat other peoples personal boundaries.
It is also so nice that you two had a talk about that.

I hope your family comes around, but I also do think you will (eventually) have to set your foot down. Preferably, when you are financially stable. Maybe try looking into how to limit the overall control and try to talk to them about letting loose on the smaller things and work your way up?