Setting boundaries with my mom
Hey all,
I just got an email from my mom asking to talk this week. I have a complex relationship with her as she has been toxic/verbally abusive for a long time and also fights with my dad in front of us. The last time I talked to her I expressed that I still find it stressful to talk and interact with her and I have asked for her to consider individual and couples therapy several times, but she is very avoidant of that and will say she was just having a stressful day or something. She has emailed me again wanting to talk and saying she misses me, etc. so I feel like I need to be more direct. I am thinking of saying I can talk once a month but not any more as I still find it stressful to interact with her.
-Day
@Daydreamer47
I am glad you are being direct about your boundaries. It is important to look after yourself.
@HopieRemi Thanks. I just sent my response. Haven't heard back yet, but it's the evening here.
Good luck!
I'm so sorry your having to set boundaries with family Its hard especially when you are the one getting hurt and they are not realizing that. But I think it is a wonderful idea that you set boundaries with her if she is not treating you with respect and is emotionally and verbally abusive that is just as important as stressful situation and should be solved that way you will be safest. Good luck with your mother and I apologize once again that you have to go though somthing so horrible. One thing that I like to think of to help me though hard times is that you are the main character in YOUR own story and if writing this chapter is had for you it's OK to end it. It doesn't mean the book is over it just means one of the many chapters is done. You still have your entire book ahead of you to write and it will end with your very own personal ending. You are heard and you are loved and I'm sending love and support your way.