Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is one tip you have for maintaining peace in a family setting?

User Profile: Hope
Hope October 10th, 2023

Hi everyone, through living we learn some ways to keep the peace in life. This does not mean you need to avoid conflict at all costs, its just referring to ways we can pick our battles and not get reactive to every single thing. 

10
User Profile: Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Sunisshiningandsoareyou October 10th, 2023

@Hope

Not be in family settings? Lol, always works! 🥲

On a more serious note, being respectful and polite while communicating is helpful, I still circle back to the keeping distance side though XD since some people take your being respectful as a weakness and feel they can influence your thoughts/ decisions, nopity-nope, a safe distance it is; no space for unnecessary drama here. "live and let live in peace"🥰


User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 October 13th, 2023

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou do you find it hard to have a family? Do you feel loved sunny?

User Profile: Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Sunisshiningandsoareyou October 13th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11

*hugsss lolaaabeaannn* ❤

load more
load more
User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 October 13th, 2023

@Hope I've never had any family so I'm not sure, but what I've learnt about family through this site. Is you need to tell your loved ones each day that you love them, you have to take interest in everyone elses  jobs, reltionships, hobbies etc. Try to quality time together. Be openminded when sharing opinions. Be helpful and just love each other. 

I would !love to be part of a real family, parents and siblings, uncles and aunts, and they would all great me nicely and we would do cool things together and I'd feel loved and happy

User Profile: Trosclair03
Trosclair03 October 15th, 2023

I think having boundaries and being assertive in a respectful way about it helps maintain peace in family settings.

User Profile: Sentimentss
Sentimentss October 18th, 2023

Proper communication and involvement of everyone in decision making and make them responsible for all the decisions so they don't feel ignored.

User Profile: sensiblePomegranate5035
sensiblePomegranate5035 October 18th, 2023

Respect each others choices and give them space. Try having an open conversation with them every once in a while.

User Profile: MoonlitSummer
MoonlitSummer October 18th, 2023

@Hope

Hello my name is Moon and I am a Listener here on 7 Cups. 

Honestly, this is a very hard question for me to answer. Not impossible just painful.

I come from a very abusive / hectic home-life so I understand what it is like to deal with conflict in a family setting (all too much really).

All I can say.. is I can't ONLY give 1 tip because of my personal past so, I hope you don't mind if I leave a bit of a list..

1) It's okay to walk away from conflict if you are feeling unsafe or like your safety (mental health, physical health, emotional wellbeing) is at risk. It's better in the long run than fighting with a person who is showing aggression.

2) Boundaries. Learn your boundaries, learn what boundaries are. What HEALTHY boundaries are. Hold those boundaries sacred. Be respectful of others boundaries, but also be respectful of your own.

3) Sometimes we guilt trip or let others guilt trip us into continually being stuck in a toxic, abusive situation. We do this because our family "should" be the ones who love, protect, and support us always (technically). We want their approval above all else, unfortunately for many of us, we will never get that. 

If you are stuck in an abusive / toxic cycle. Sometimes it is better to distance yourself. Better to walk away. If you are going through abuse I want to leave a few resources that may help:

SA / Grooming / Etc
https://www.rainn.org/resources

DV:
https://www.thehotline.org/

988 Suicide Hotline if things become too much:
https://988lifeline.org/

Hope these help. 

Sorry for the long reply






User Profile: MissJess84
MissJess84 October 19th, 2023

I'd have to say that it's not your job to maintain peace in the family. The only peace that you can maintain is yourself. That's it. If you try to maintain peace for family? You may end of crap-fitting yourself, appeasing/fawning, not set boundaries etc.

User Profile: SquidwardBobRoss
SquidwardBobRoss October 20th, 2023

@Hope

My family? umm simple:

Don't bring up politics

Don't be queer

Don't talk about anything religious 

Avoid talking to or about certain family members

Don't eat to much

Don't eat to little

Don't say anything against America 

Don't talk to much

Don't be to anti social

Don't bring up how another country is good

Just *** up smile and eat your potatoes.